Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grilled lobster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grilled lobster

So for dinner tomorrow my wife wants me to make lobster tails. (they are in the freezer right now), will cook them tomorrow on the kettle. It will be my first time with Lobster, I have a bit of experience cooking crab legs on the grill. But, looking for food pairing suggestions. In an attempt to make a surf and turf, I am half tempted to do a few bone in lamb chops. What do you like to add to the plate or meal when you are eating something like Lobster? Thank you in advance.

I like putting a little chopped tarragon in with the melted butter if your using it for dipping the lobster
    I think the flavor would go well with the lamb also

Comment

I was watching a Bobby Flay show and he recommended steaming the lobster and finishing on the grill.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking I might build a 350 charcoal fire on one side, water pan butted right up to the coals, then get my tails above the water pan /next to fire), and then set the kettle lid off my little 14 over the lobster, and then the 22 kettle lid on for more oven. I will explore the steaming idea. I have a small counter top one for veggies, Not much experience beyond that. But, to the interwebs I go.

I used to run traps in Mass years ago with a recreational license. Peak summer we were pulling 7-10 keepers per week, so we tried a lot of recipes. I always liked to split them the long way when I grilled them (Heavy Chef's knife or cleaver) and baste with garlic butter.

Surf and turf for me is Filet or ribeye. Filet is nice because you can get a smaller cut but I am a ribeye fan all the way.

Only advice is to use a digital thermometer and nail the chefs temp on the lobsters (140deg for grilling). Other wise it will be like a goodyear tire.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        pjlstrat. No doubt on temp control. I will have a lead in at least one of the tails.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how I did them on the grill. Turf was steak tips for me.

Poach the lobster in butter and finish on the grill with some smoldering bay leaves. Lamb rib chops would go great with it with a balsamic glaze. Don't scrimp on the fresh garlic and rosemary with the lamb. Then some cauliflower mash, and asparagus. Fig syrup and honey drizzled cheesecake for dessert.

Comment

Having lived on the North Shore of Massachusetts I have done a few of these. While lamb is okay with lobster the traditional is beef. If you do lamb use the same seasoning as you do on the lobster. Lemon, garlic, thyme, white wine works well. Poach the lobster in a stock of these for 10-15 minutes depending on size. Let the lamb marinate for a couple of hours.

Start a fire for direct heat. Let it come up to temp with all white coals. Spatchcock the lobsters so they are meat are wide open. Put on the grill 5 minutes should be enough time. Cook the lamb 3-4 minutes a side for medium rare. Serve the melted butter on the side for dipping.

I prefer a good steak with the lobster. A filet is great.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello from Cape Ann!

I’ve had no success grilling them. I overcooked them and they. I did succeed boiling the with some Louisiana shrimp boil.

Comment

I've been wanting to try this. Lobster + Beef + Chimichurri sounds pretty dang good to me.

Comment

I did lobster tails once a couple years ago. I used a medium direct fire and butterflied the tails so they were somewhat flat. Cooked them to 140 or so. I thought they turned out great but I haven't eaten a ton of lobster so I don't have much to compare them to.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here