Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Miso Sesame Tuna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Miso Sesame Tuna

I'm a big fan of Ahi or yellowfin tuna. Not as popular in Japan as bonita or big eye, it's never the less one of my all time favorites for sushi and sashimi. Costco carries nice 2" thick steaks so picked up a couple of 2 pounders over the weekend. I'd been to a Japanese restaurant a few months ago and wanted to recreate this dish at home, I think I got it pretty close. Wife and kids liked it and they're a pretty tough crowd to please !!

The tuna was grilled hot and fast. You need to be careful not to overcook it, it turns dry and tasteless. If you're at all squeamish about raw fish then move onto salmon or something else that can take additional cooking.

The marinade is designed to amp up the umami note on the surface of the fish. I used a white miso paste, soy sauce, sesame and a variety of other flavor enhancers to give it a little heat and a little sweet. Fast grilling at 400* made it a quick and easy meal.

Course: Dinner or lunch
    Cuisine: Asian Japanese
    Makes: 3-4 servings
    Takes: 1 hour to prep and 10-12 minutes to cook

Ingredients

2 pound Ahi tuna steak

For the Marinade

4 tablespoons rice vinegar or mirin
    3 tablespoons white miso paste
    3 tablespoons light soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sambal
    1 tablespoon sriracha
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

2-3 tablespoons raw or toasted sesame seeds

Method

1) Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until everything is combined into a slurry.

2) In a separate pan or dish, place the tuna and liberally coat all sides with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour. Turn and re-coat the fish during the marinade ensuring even penetration.

3) While waiting on the marinade to work, in a small pan toast the sesame seeds over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Do not overcook, just get them warm and toasted. Empty them onto a cool plate.

4) When sufficiently marinaded, pat the fish dry and place on a clean plate. Take and coat all sides with the toasted sesame seeds. Return to the refrigerator while you fire up the grill and prepare the remainder of your meal.

Cook

1) Grill your tuna over medium high heat, 350-400*. Be sure to oil your cooking grate prior to placing the tuna on it.

2) Try not to move the fish, it will release once seared. Sear all sides for 2 minutes, no more. Do not overcook !!

Serve

Slice and serve your tuna. I served it over a bed of jasmine rice with roasted veggies and some slices of avocado. Makes for a delicious and light meal. Enjoy !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	tuna 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	766.5 KB ID:	692992
    Last edited by Troutman; June 10, 2019, 10:10 AM.

Looks outstanding.

Comment

I am sure that is delicious. And I will take your advise and move on. Been trying some Japanese cooking in a Donabe pot. Here's a source for some cookware and pantry products that are authentic.
      Authentic Japanese donabe (earthenware pots), pottery, and healthy recipes.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks O, not really too much into Japanese cooking, but I do enjoy eating it. It and Viet are our choices dejure when going out of late.

Troutman That looks outstanding. I’m always looking for a great fish recipe. I don’t recall seeing ahi at our local fish market but I’ll ask about. I have yet to take advantage of my Costco membership. It may be time soon. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Just ask for yellowfin, same thing

Try adding some wasabi and ginger, maybe instead of the sriracha.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the ginger idea, will have to add. Sriracha and sambal was what I had on hand for heat, probably a toss up with wasabi.

Looks great! How thick were the steaks? Just curious. Never mind! Missed the 2" .
      Last edited by NapMaster; June 10, 2019, 01:18 PM. Reason: Can't read!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, nothin like 2” sea steaks.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Try saying sea steaks or sea snakes 10 times

Nice!! I would definitely eat that!!

Comment

This a beautiful way to cook Ahi. In the restaurant, we use cracked black pepper instead of sesame, but the procedure is the same. Shredded fresh horseradish is even better but you should dredge the tuna in a bit of beaten egg first. I love to use this method when I make homemade ramen, as they go together well. The sesame aromatics, along with the fattiness of the tuna go well with Asian noodles, both hot and cold. The uses of what we do, and the mores of how to use them are unlimited.

Great cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here