Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp block breakdown logistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp block breakdown logistics

I have been presented with a challenge. We have a 5lb block of frozen shrimp. There are usually only two of us around, so 5lbs isn't going to get eaten all at once - defrosting the whole thing isn't an option (I think). Any bright ideas how to break this down into reasonable portions without sacrificing a bunch?

Mebbe a cleaver???
    Dunno, jus seems like what I'd try, first, hereabouts...
    An idea, perhaps not th brightest one...

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my first thought, but they're such nice shrimp I don't want to mangle them.

If it is in some sort of bag or what ever, I might try defrosting the old fashioned way, on a platter on the counter or in the sink. As the outer sorta melts, peel off, stick the frozen block back in the freezer, eat the thawed & repeat. Just a thought.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts exactly. Or put the block in a container of water and check every hour or so until enough for a meal have detached. The ice cold water will keep the shrimp that fall off at a safe temp.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And that's my wife's first idea. We'll see.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      My name is Adam, and I endorse this message.

table saw. and im not kidding. i have done this before although not with shrimp.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Hadn't thought of the saw!

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Thats what i meant

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Remember that the next time someone from pilgrims gives me a block of chickens

Saw it. Hand saw or whatever you have available. Chain saw would be the most fun but the kerf is a little wide.

Comment

Throw the whole darn thing in a clean sing/bucket full of water. Pay attention to it, it defrosts fast and quickly referees in smaller portions.

the actual shrimps will stay frozen enough.
      i wouldn’t worry about the defrost and referees.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Boss!

The judge says the cold water bath wins! She was concerned about the refreeze. Thanks all!

Comment

Do not stab at it with a knife. A math teacher of mine had a funny story about that ending in an emergency room visit and reduced function of a hand.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          never try to drill through a terra-cotta flower pot either... ask KenC52 how I know...

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Never try to make a T-square with an Xacto knife is one of mine. A twelve year old's brain fart.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I was gonna say Ice Pick, but be careful!

Never try to pry overcooked (and seriously stuck) brownies out of a baking pan with a steak knife, bone out a deer shoulder with 14 inch butcher knife, sweat a copper fitting while it is attached to wooden subflooring, pull a "dead" squirrel out of a hole in the ground, pull two fighting dogs apart bearhanded, etc.etc.

Comment

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it...pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich...

😀

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Bubba!

Break out the bandsaw.

Comment

It was the partial thaw method.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              And........?

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              It worked, but they were "musty" after their over-long storage. Ate half, tossed the rest to the seagulls.

We have a well and the water coming out of it is 45 degrees. So we just run the cold water over the block and let the shrimp fall off into a clean pan and grab them as they do when we have enough we refreeze the block.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here