Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot sauce for oysters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tabasco and Apalachicola’s finest!
    Last edited by smokenoob; May 31, 2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

All are good suggestions. If your eating out here, typically they make a "cocktail" sauce. Ketchup + h radish + lemon juice + Tabasco (or other hot sauce). There is always a bottle of Tabasco on the table for more heat as needed.

Essentially it is to taste. When I make cocktail sauce at home, I use the above and add Lea & Perrin's worchestershire sauce.

I like them raw, but not this time of year. Too much risk of catching the creeping crude.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
        ddmcwhirter commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll always want cocktail sauce with raw (or slightly smoked) oysters and boiled shrimp! I'll top off those fancy baked oysters with Tobasco.

I like to use tapatio. I’ll melt some butter with fresh garlic, salt and pepper, and squeeze a lemon in there. I’ll grill them on the half shell, spoon some of the butter into each one, top with a little shredded Parmesan and a dash of tapatio.

Oh, and the gulf isn’t the only place for fresh oysters . We have fantastic oysters here in the Pacific Northwest as well!
      Last edited by Red Man; May 31, 2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I understand ya'll have them too. During the summer I would eat yours raw because they are harvested from cold water.

Tabasco and some fresh horseradish, with a bit of lemon juice squeezed over the oysters would be my pick.

Comment

I am a Tabasco fan personally, but when I am in New Orleans Crystal seems to be the Norm and I like that as well.
        If you are grilling them, do a few Rockefeller, those rock!!

Comment

Well....I am from Minnesota, so I suppose I have not right to comment on this one. But I always prefer to use Tabasco. I always thought that is what it was invented for.

Comment

It's not just because of warm water pathogens that keeps me from eating summer oysters. After the spaw, oysters, being spent, aren't at their physical peak. Their not as plump, brinie or meaty. They're flaccid.

Not so much a problem for fried or roasted, but for raw I think it makes a difference.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll pass on flaccid thank you

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here