Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep frying fresh Cod. Need advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep frying fresh Cod. Need advice please

Got some fresh cod today so going to deep fry it. Looking for recommendations on preparing it to seasoning it and battering then on fry temp and time. Thanks!

We do Tyler Florence's Ultimate Fish Taco recipe.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Here's a basic Beer Batter. Here's fish tacos. That's a little more involved, but nice & light.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

This is how I do it but I substitute panko for the cracker meal and bread crumbs....

Last edited by fracmeister; May 11, 2019, 02:16 PM. Reason: forgot to add link

Comment

Are you gonna fry low and slow or hot and fast? My Dad taught me how to fry fish as he was taught growin' up in MS. They used finely ground corn meal with a little salt and pepper mixed in. Deep fry until it floats to the surface and it's done.

As a side note, we were camping on a river in MS one time along with some of my Dad's friends. One of the friends had an old cast iron cauldron - probable held several gallons of oil, and that's what they used. Catfish were skinned and cleaned, then cut lengthwise along the backbone. More cuts were made perpendicular to the first cut in what would be the filet if separated from the rest of the fish, (making cubes still attached to the whole fish). Then the whole thing was rolled in cornmeal and dropped in the hot cauldron of oil. When it floated to the top, it was removed and served. All you had to do was gently tug one of the cubes off and you had a bite sized fish nugget. It makes my mouth water just thinkin' about it.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea we do a Cajun cornmeal by adding cayenne to the meal. Not enough to blow your head off but enough to spice it up. I can eat fried MS catfish until I’m sick.

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I haven't had catfish since I was stationed in Louisiana (Loozian) and also lived in Central and East Texas. That thar is some good eats. Oh, and thanks for making me drool.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a place just 15 minutes from us that has all the catfish, hush puppies, and fries you can eat for $ 12.00 that includes your drink. They've been there for nearly 40 years. We were there last night, I could go again tonight.

Love me some catfish.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here