Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crab cakes to kill for!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crab cakes to kill for!

Here we go! As you might know by now, I'm not an ingredient measurer. Everything is pretty much eyeballed. Let's start with some aromatics, onions, garlic, celery and red peppers in a food processor. Chop em up to smithereens. Then saute in leaf lard, or butter, add old bay seasoning and salt, until all the liquid is gone. Transfer to a bowl and let that mess cool. Add lemon juice from half a lemon, some Dijon mustard and Sriracha Now on to the binder, shrimp! Yes get about 4 large shrimps, season with salt and place in a food processor. chop that into smithereens, then add about 1/4 cup heavy cream. Basically, I'm using a shrimp mousse as a binder. Form a sticky paste. And add that to the bowl with the aromatics Mix that mess well then add the crab meat. Make sure it was drained well. Add some herbs, here I'm using tarragon and chives. Add a good pinch of salt. Mix very gently. Now form into patties. You could just use your hands but if you got any respect for food like I do you'll do everything in your power to make a great presentation. Now wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight. Roll in panko bread and fry in lard and butter combo. It's crab meat, treat it like it deserves to be treated. This will make your significant other pretty loose. Trust me. Was the use of molding gadgets necessary? No. But most of y'all know by now, I'm all about respecting food and presenting it accordingly. Food sustains life, everything else is optional. If you see me in the kitchen, you're guaranteed to get the best of me.
    Last edited by Ernest; February 14, 2015, 11:40 AM.

The Plate

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Magnificent!

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking plate....I'll bet they taste phenomenal!

• THoey1963
      THoey1963 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great!

Awesome! Those look great. I have been wanting to do these for awhile. When I actually do this will be the recipe for sure. What kind of crab meat are you using? Thanks for sharing! Jim

Comment

Regular crab meat from Costco

Comment

Dangit Ernest, you had to do it again. My wife just happened to be walking by my screen as I was reading this and guess what she said .. 'That looks good, when are you going to make this for me?' It's Valentines tomorrow .. now I'll probably have to make a trip to Costco.

Comment

Looks fantastic Ernest!

Comment

You nailed that crab cake Earnest. Great job!

Comment

My wife being from Baltimore will really like these. Thanks for sharing Ernest.

Comment

What does this mean? "Then satire sautee in leaf lard, or butter...." Looks like auto-correct is messing with you here. "Sriracsalt"; Sriracha, I would guess.

And, at the end: I don't keep lard around, can these be sauteed in olive oil and butter? I think so, but it's your recipe.

Comment

LOL! Mosca, you pay too much attention. Yeah those are auto correct errors. Skip the olive oil, use butter only. You can get leaf lard on Amazon these days

Comment

Thanks man. I get the eyeballing thing, I do the same, but let me ask you, is that one can of crabmeat? I can make the rest of it work.

I don't eat seafood, I'm going to make this as a surprise for Mrs Mosca some day. The plate sauce looks like a mayo/chipotle thing, maybe?

Comment

I buy the 1lb tab from costco. It's impossible to mess it up as long as you don't have a bunch of liquid. Drain the crab meat, saute the veggies until all the liquid is gone
                      Sauce is homemade mayo with Asian sweet chili sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice. Start with about a 1/4 cup mayo, add chili sauce and lemon juice and taste as you go along.

Comment

Ernest, what size Kuchenprofi forming ring and tamper did you use?

Comment

Doc, I used the 3 inch mold

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                            Doc, I used the 3 inch mold
                            OK, I can only find a 2.25" and 2.75" Tampers. I am deducting that the 2.75" tamper is used in the 3" mold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here