Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon My Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmon My Way

There's been a number of posts of late for smoked salmon which is a great favorite of mine (along with about 50 other species of fish and crustaceans !!). I just happened to have a 2.5# filet of Scottish EU salmon that I pulled from the freezer. I cook salmon a number of ways but my absolute favorite is really simple and borrows from an Asian taste profile. So let me show you salmon my way....

As I said it's really quite simple but the flavor combinations, along with smoking, brings an amazing depth to an already rich tasting fish. I combine (1) cup each of light soy sauce and brown sugar as the base and add to that (2) tablespoons of miso paste. The miso gives it that umami flavor component much like monosodium glutamate does in Asian dishes. Because fish readily absorbs the seasoning, I only marinate for about 5-6 hours. Overnight is possible but somewhat overpowers the fish for my taste....

Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	757.8 KB ID:	619480

After the 6 hour marinade, I removed my filets from the refrig, patted off the excess liquid and placed them on alder wood planks. I've done a lot of cedar plank fish in the past but noticed a variety of different wood planks being offered these days, so I'm trying out various options. For those who have never cooked on planks, it does lend a bit of flavor to the fish as well as a bit of smokiness when the plank begins to singe. To be honest the alder didn't seem to add much of anything, but I really didn't much care knowing the marinade was the real star of the show. Here they are ready to go after a light dusting of Tony C's seasoning and some dried dill .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	834.4 KB ID:	619481
    Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	619482

Pellet smoking lends itself well to smoking fish for my tastes, it's a lighter smokey result. I went ahead and smoked them with a fruit wood pellet combination (cherry, apple, pecan blend). I started the grill on the smoke setting for about 15-20 minutes, then cranked the cooker up to 300* for the actual cook. Took about 30 minutes to finish after the initial smoking. I cook a lot of fish so I rarely temp, rather go by time, feel and the way the filet looks. If you're trying this and do want to check via temp, try not to exceed 130* IT. Fish has a breaking point that once passed is like cooking meat well done. The moisture leaves and you're stuck with gummy tasting sawdust. Keep it moist and juicy to let the fish flavor shine through. Here they are during the cook with some Brussel Sprouts on the side .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	877.4 KB ID:	619483

As I said pellet grills and fish are a match made in heaven, the kiss of smoke and the salty/sweet marinade combined for an amazing depth of flavor. If you love salmon as much as we do, give this simple recipe a try, it will become one you'll want to add to your cooking rotation .....

Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	619487Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	619486Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	619485

Simple, quick, easy and delicious .... smoked salmon. Served here with some remoulade sauce, jasmine rice, gai lan in oyster sauce and some of those smoked Brussels. Troutman Steve hopes you enjoy this dish...

Click image for larger version  Name:	salmon 09.jpg Views:	2 Size:	830.3 KB ID:	619488

Last edited by Troutman; January 6, 2019, 12:05 PM.

What is "smoking temp" on the pellet burner - around 225F? And what kind of miso do you use? Looks great!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      White, although I've been wanting to try the others as well.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Troutman !

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - if you try red, tread lightly ... that stuff can become overpowering pretty quickly. Other stronger kinds, even more so.

Dude, I'm in southwest Louisiana 3.5+ hours from my smoker.

Torture....but maybe later this week.

Mmmm, planks, so I don't have to clean my grates?? They make them big enough for briskets??

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea if they are good for anything it's the cleanliness factor for sure. I suppose of you lay out half a dozen of them you could do a brisket on there, but then you'd loose the rendering of the fat cap. Nice thought though !!!

Bravo my friend! Looks wonderful. I could taste the umami through the photos!

Comment

Awesome as usual! Great looking salmon!

Comment

Great looking fish, Troutman!

Comment

As with everything Troutman does his way...it looks pretty spectacular.

Comment

You need to help Meathead with recipes for the site. Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Salmon, wonderful. Troutman’s way equally wonderful!

Comment

Looks fabulous, and easy to follow, thanks (again) Troutman!

Comment

That looks amazing! I love salmon. Unfortunately, my wife hates fish, so it is just me; I don't get to do it as often as I'd like. (Well, me and the cats...but salmon is a bit pricey to share with them!)

--Michael

Comment

Looks so good. Rarely have any kind of fish as family is not a fan. They will eat pickerel but that’s about it. I will try this with a small piece for just me. Thanks.

Comment

Tremendous post and delicious looking meal.

Comment

Great lookin Salmon, Brother!

I enjoyed th thorough write up, as well...very informative, an instructional!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D944DC78-726F-4B42-B206-E271C6F0E60C.jpeg
Views:	667
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	619653 Abbey likes salmon. Nice fresh pink salmon😻

Comment

• Red Man
                            Red Man commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My cats name is Abby too! She also likes salmon 😋

• Willard
                            Willard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Get out! Want 2 Abbies?

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here