Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon indonesian seafood sate – sate lilit sambal matah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon indonesian seafood sate – sate lilit sambal matah

Or, if you prefer not to click through:

My Citizens, few cuisines in the world are as intricately and lavishly spiced as Indonesian, yet it sadly remains a mystery to most people outside of Indonesia and the Netherlands (which used to own a big chunk of this gorgeous archipelago)!

I aim to fix that problem with this fantastic recipe from Bali (the only remaining Hindu island in Indonesia) that is a unique take on satay using a combination of both shrimp and fish! FYI – Bali, being Hindu, also has many pork recipes and I am extremely fond of their roast suckling pig!

Satay (or sate in Indonesian spelling) is a dish of seasoned, skewered and grilled meat, served with a sauce. Sate may consist of diced or sliced chicken, goat, mutton, beef, pork, fish, other meats, or tofu; the more authentic version uses skewers from the midrib of the coconut palm frond, although bamboo skewers are often used. These are grilled or barbecued over a wood or charcoal fire, then served with various spicy seasonings.

Sate originated on the Indonesian island of Java and it is available almost anywhere in Indonesia, where it has become a national dish. It is also popular in many other Southeast Asian countries. In Sri Lanka, it has become a staple of the local diet as a result of the influences from the local Malay community.

Sate is a very popular delicacy in Indonesia; the country’s diverse ethnic groups’ culinary arts have produced a wide variety of satays. In Indonesia, sate is a popular street food and it can be obtained from a traveling satay vendor, from a street-side tent-restaurant, in an upper-class restaurant, or during traditional celebration feasts.

Although both Thailand and Malaysia claim it as their own, its Southeast Asian origin was in Java, Indonesia. There sate was developed from the Indian kebab brought by the Muslim traders. Even India cannot claim its origin, for there it was a legacy of Middle Eastern influence.

A dish with widespread popularity, the origins of sate are unclear. The word "sate" itself is thought to have been derived from Indonesian: sate and Malay: saté or satai, both perhaps of Tamil origin.

From Java (though this is difficult to prove from very few records), sate spread through the Malay Archipelago and, as a consequence, numerous variations of the dish have been developed and exist. By the late 19th century, sate had crossed the Strait of Malacca into neighboring Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. The Dutch also brought this dish as well as many other Indonesian specialties to the Netherlands, thereby influencing Dutch cuisine even to this day.

Meat commonly used includes chicken, lamb, goat, mutton, beef, venison and rabbit; seafoods such as fish, shrimp and squid; or offal such as liver, intestine and tripe.

My version of the dish is based very closely on a recipe from William Wongso’s "Flavors of Indonesia". I have adapted the fish to shrimp ratio, added in some additional spices and my admittedly brilliant substitution of using smoked peppered mackerel fillets instead of regular mackerel fillet. This adds an additional element of smokiness and spice that make an especially big difference if you are not grilling these over charcoal. The use of lemongrass as a skewer adds an amazingly subtle hint of citrus to the dish!

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Print
    The Hirshon Indonesian Seafood Sate – Sate Lilit Sambal Matah

Ingredients
    • 450 grams shrimp (size 50-60 pcs/kg), minced
    • 250 grams smoked peppered mackerel fillet (TFD change - original used regular mackerel fillet), minced/flaked
    • 50 ml cooking oil
    • 1 stalk lemongrass
    • 4 bay leaves, stem and inner vein removed or use 3 tsp. bay leaf powder
    • 200 grams grated coconut
    • 10 grams salt (about 2 tsp.)
    • 250 ml coconut cream
    • 10 stalks lemongrass (or 10 individual chopsticks or bamboo skewers, but please try and use lemongrass as the Balinese intended)
    • Chopped Fresh Spices:
    • 50 grams shallot
    • 8 red jalapeno or fresno chiles
    • 7 cloves garlic
    • 2 tsp, coriander seeds
    • ¼ piece nutmeg
    • 4 pieces of long pepper
    • 3 stalks lemongrass, use the white inner parts only
    • 2 cm piece of peeled galangal
    • 4 cm piece of peeled fresh ginger (TFD change, original called for kencur)
    • 10 grams salt (about 2 tsp.)
    • 12 grams sugar (about 2 teaspoons) - TFD prefers to use palm sugar as opposed to regular
    • 4 Kaffir lime leaves
    • 4 grams fermented shrimp paste (optional)
    • Balinese Chili Relish or some form of thick hot sauce

Instructions
    1. Finely chop all fresh spices with a food processor or blender, then sauté with some oil in a frying pan until the spices are well cooked and fragrant. Add minced mackerel and shrimp, mix and knead mixture until it becomes more elastic, but doesn’t stick to the bowl.
    2. Wrap the shrimp mackerel ‘dough’ round a stalk of lemongrass, a chopstick or a skewer.
    3. Heat a charcoal grill or use a grill pan with high heat and grill the sate. Serve with Balinese chili relish.

Another very complex recipe, but it sounds wonderful. Not so sure I can even find all those ingredients. A visit to Bali might be a better idea. Great write up too. Thanks.

Comment

I love Indonesian sate. My mother in law used to make chicken and pork sate frequently (and occasional lamb). It's great with peanut sauce or Indonesian sweet soy sauce with chile peppers. We have the recipe but sate is a lot of work so we don't make it frequently.

Comment

Terima kasih mas Hirshon, buat recepnya. Istri saya prebumi orang Indonesia, dia masak luar biasa. Saya hidup di Surabaya buat dua tahun dan suka sekali makanan dari Jawa dan Bali. Sate ayam dan sate kelinci, wenak pol!

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          @MBMorgan
          Thanks that cleared it right up!

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          "Thank you, Mr. Hirshon, for the recipe. My wife is a native Indonesian, she cooks great. I lived in Surabaya for two years and love Javanese and Balinese food. Chicken satay and rabbit satay, wenak pol!"

Google translate ftw.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea only one problem, Mr. Hirshon is no longer with us. But that's a mere technicality

Thank you for the post

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Why? He didn't mention PBR in any of his recipe writings.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman do you think it is up to PBR standards?
          I got lost in all the ingredients.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here