Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troutman's Grilled Redfish Pontchartrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troutman's Grilled Redfish Pontchartrain

For those in the Southeast Texas market and especially those in Houston, will agree that some of the best eats in town are found at the Pappas Brothers restaurant chain. They operate in five different venues, my favorite being Pappadeaux's, their take on cajun-creole seafood cooking. Their menu always has several fresh fish varieties to choose from and cooked the way you prefer it. My all time favorite, go to choice is Redfish Pontchartrain. I usually get the filet grilled with my choice of Pontchartrian sauce on top. Although you have your choice of several different sauces, when I see crab meat and shrimp, that's all she wrote, and Pontchartrain sauce has both !!!

I recently ran across a recipe that attempts to re-create this favorite, so I spun that my way. For those who would like to attempt this, here are the ingredients;

Shrimp Stock

Shrimp Shells and/or Shrimp Heads
    3 cups of water
    1 carrot coarsely chopped
    1 celery stalk coarsely chopped
    1/2 onion chopped

Roux

3 tablespoons flour
    3 tablespoons melted butter

The Sauce and Seafood

4 Redfish filets (substitute Red Snapper or any other light meat filets)
    12 Large Shrimp, cleaned and de-viened (reserve shell and/or heads for stock)
    6-8 ounces of lump crab meat

1/4 cup of fine chopped shallots (or onion)
    5 cloves of garlic minced
    1 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
    1/3 cup of Sauvignon Blanc wine
    1/3 cup low sodium chicken stock
    Cajun seasoning like Tony C's or Slap Your Mama
    Dried Dill

The Cook

Start by cleaning the shrimp and taking the reserved heads and/or shells and make a simple shrimp stock. Low boil for 20-30 minutes then let it cool down. When cooled strain into a separate bowl and set aside...

Click image for larger version

Name:	red ponch 01.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	573506Click image for larger version

Name:	red ponch 02.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	573507

Next prepare your fish filets. I usually rub down with lemon and olive oil then season with Tony C's and dill weed. Skewer the shrimp and season the same way. Return to the refrigerator while you fire up your smoker or grill....

Name:	red ponch 03.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	573508

While the cooker gets up to temp, prepare the roux by combining the flour and butter in equal parts. Stir constantly until it reaches a nutty colored thick consistency. Also in a separate pan melt one stick of butter. Set both aside for the sauce.

Name:	red ponch 05.jpg
Views:	1315
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	573509

Add the fish and shrimp to your cooker. I used a Weber kettle with an SNS, 1/2 chimney of coals and one 4 oz. or so piece of Pecan wood. Grill the seafood for approximately 25-30 minutes. The shrimp may get done sooner, take it off if it does. Fish should be cooked through and flaky.

Name:	red ponch 04.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	573510

Begin the sauce by sauteing the shallots and the garlic until translucent in 1/2 a stick of butter....

Name:	red ponch 06.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	573511

...when softened add the reserved and strained out shrimp stock. Simmer for about 10 minutes and reduce.....

Name:	red ponch 07.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	573512

The remaining steps were involved so I didn't take many shots. After the sauce simmered and reduced I slowly added the roux to begin thickening. The next time I make this I will reduce the amount of roux added. I felt like the sauce became way to thick and tight. Regardless after combining and stirring, I gradually whisked in the stick of melted butter into the mixture. That was followed by the wine and chicken stock which thinned out the sauce and gave it a silky finish, although as I said still a little too thick. The net result was a creole beurre blanc like sauce.

Once fully incorporated I added the crab meat and did a final stir. I reduced the heat and simmered for about 10-12 more minutes to gently cook the crab meat. In the meantime the seafood came off the grill and into a warm oven ready for assembly...

Name:	red ponch 08.jpg
Views:	1352
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	573513

Along side the sauce I made some Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat with the cooked and chopped bacon mixed in....

Name:	red ponch 09.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	573514

Final assembly had three shrimps placed on top of each of the four fillets then the sauce spooned on top of that. The result was amazing, flavor profiles from the smoked fish and shrimp, to the silky smooth crab meat sauce, to the hints of wine in the background, and so on and so forth. No one said a word, it was just devoured. Was it something that was better than the original from Pappa's? Got to say no but oh boy it was real close. Next time I intend to exceed the original.

I hope you give this a try, it's a spectacular recipe from my favorite restaurant. Enjoy !!! Trout is out !!!!

Name:	red ponch 010.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	573515

I don’t miss much about living in the Houston area ... but Pappadeaux's is way up toward the top of the list of things I really do miss.

Fantastic looking cook, BTW.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; October 1, 2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Bluesrhino1
      Bluesrhino1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Son cooked at the Westheimer Pappadeaux and his wife works in the Pappas org.
      We moved to the northwest three years ago. Going to H-Town for Christmas. We are going to Pappadeauxs first for King Crab and Whataburger the second day. Miss them a bunch

Thank you Troutman, inspirational as always! Excellent and mouth watering recipe! I can almost taste it just by reading.

Comment

This is great, thanks for taking the time and energy to put all of this together. This really looks incredible. As Henrik said, I can almost taste it by reading this! LOL. Thanks again!

Comment

Great recipie Troutman !
        Thanks

Comment

WOW! Thanks for sharing this, great job!

Comment

That looks great Troutman !

Comment

Amazing! Would love to dig into that.

Comment

I look forward to your recipe posts, Troutman . This one is outstanding as always. It looks delicious even to me, and I don't like fish. But I have husband and family who do, so I'm going to give this a try one of these days.

Kathryn

Comment

You had me at "Pappadeaux's." I have been to one in Ft. Worth many times and it never disappoints! This is definitely on my to-do list. Just have to come up with some redfish or a good substitute.

Comment

Another outstanding contribution!

Comment

Thank you! That looks and sounds fantastic. I don't think we have Redfish around the MN area but I'll find something similar to give it a try!

Comment

We have a Pappadeaux's in Bham, great meal every time I dine there. I appreciate you sharing this recipe. Redfish is a popular dish among the boys in my family. Will be trying this out next chance I get.

Comment

Troutman Im glad I found this. That may make me eat Brussels sprouts. I’m not a fan but my wife likes them and that’s all that matters. Thanks.

Comment

Nice cook and recipe instructions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here