Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf and Turf Party to Enjoy Results of Florida Lobster Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf and Turf Party to Enjoy Results of Florida Lobster Season

Each year for the last 24 we've rented a house for a week in Islamorada Florida to open the Florida Spiny Lobster Season. This year, all 3 kids, their spouses and 5 grand kids participated. However, because of the grand kids back to school schedule, we were only there for one day when the season was open. We ended up with a few just the same. Anyway, we've also traditionally gotten everybody back together to dispose of the lobster along with steak and fixins. I'm terrible about pictures, but here's some.

Oldest grand daughter just got scuba certified:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	38465839_10218047960093168_8983192324586602  496_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	568765

Got one:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Imagec.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	568766

Here's the day's catch:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lobsters.jpg Views:	1 Size:	232.5 KB ID:	568767

Got a whole prime New York at Fresh Market and had it cut into steaks. So here's the protein ready for the grill:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	pre cook.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.4 KB ID:	568768

Steaks on the gas grill:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Steaks on Grill.jpg Views:	1 Size:	231.2 KB ID:	568769

Tails on the Weber:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Lobster on Grill.jpg Views:	1 Size:	244.5 KB ID:	568770

Here's the crew chowing down:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	group2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.0 KB ID:	568771

Not much leftover:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	leftovers.jpg Views:	1 Size:	203.9 KB ID:	568772

OK, everybody hit the pool:

Home for all your photos and videos, automatically organized and easy to share.
    Last edited by johnec00; September 20, 2018, 05:41 PM. Reason: Tried to get the video thumbnail to appear . . . unsuccessful.

You did just fine with the pictures. And the cook looks fantastic. Sharing with family, it it doesn't' get any better.

Comment

Pics look great ... and the food looks even greater!!!

Comment

Awesome job. Those steaks and tails look great.
        And congrats on your granddaughters certification. 👍

Comment

Oh dude, spiny lobster and New York strips, where is my invite?????

Comment

That looks fantastic! I really miss **really** fresh lobster. There's nothing like it.

Comment

Just awesome!

Comment

Very nice. That’s awesome. Family, food and fun diving in the Keys.
                Thank you for sharing.
                Another delicacy you can potentially concider adding to your menu is Lionfish. They do require some careful handling and it’s best to have all pertinent dive skills in the bag before even remotely considering harvesting them. They are superb eating and it’s nice to help keep them in check.
                Cheers,
                Ricardo

Comment

• Ricardo
                  Ricardo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lionfish are a big problem around the Caribbean nowadays. The good news is that they are very tasty. Here is a video that PBS put together a while ago. My wife and I donated most of the underwater footage they used for the news clip. We are in the video, but opted to mainly stay in the background, behind the scenes or just blend in. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CSd7pgvOV3M
                  Cheers,

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One of my sons managed to spear 3 or 4 lionfish about 3 years ago when we were diving Pompano. They are tasty critters. Surprisingly, I've not seen any in the Keys the last 2 years. Lazy Daze had them on the menu too, but no more. Whole Paycheck does sell the fillets.

• Ricardo
                  Ricardo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  johnec00, You are doing the right thing. Family get togethers and fun activities. Kids when exposed early to diving, become comfortable underwater, develop skills and shortly thereafter will take after you, enjoying family get togethers, catching their own lobsters and having wholesome fun.

Sounds like a great time and everyone looks like they are enjoying themselves. And then add the good looking food! Memories that last a lifetime.

Comment

Family times are fun times for sure.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

What a nice long standing family tradition. It is so hard these days to keep family together for such wonderful events. Everybody is so spread out. The problem I have with my immediate family is one child has to work all holidays, the other is just too busy with both spouses working. And, of course, I'm still working full time at age 64. So, enjoy! Oh, and what a wonderful spread of lobster and steak... consider yourself very lucky, I'm sure you do!

Comment

Family, fun and great food = blessings. Well done sir!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here