Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked mackerel mousse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked mackerel mousse

So, I decided to smoke something other than red meat, and smoked fish is nice, so that's what I did. I really like mackerel, it is a fish with high fat content, just like salmon, so it lends itself very well for smoking. I bought two, they weighed roughly a pound each. I gutted them and cut their heads off. Got my BGE fired up, decided to run it just a little bit hotter than usual, 300° F, as the fish meat doesn't need tendering. I got a bag of beech wood from some fishermen, they use it quite a bit to smoke fish with, so I figured they must be on to something :-)

I smoked the fish for less than an hour, took them off the grate when the internal temp was 140° F. I let them cool down, then started removing all the meat with my fingers. It was easiest that way, then I'm sure to get rid of all skin/bones et.c.

Then I mixed it all up with some creme fraiche, mayo and lemon juice. I served a large portion on a plate with a fresh salad. Turned out really good, I must say. Mackerel really takes well to smoking. I can recommend this to anyone wanting a break from smoking pork/beef.

A note on the beech wood: It is very mild, which is good with fish. Not as fruity or nutty as some fruit woods (like apple, cherry, plum) are, very gentle I must say. Will definitely use beech wood with fish again. Otherwise I tend to use alder wood with fish.

Mousse ingredients
    2 mackerels, roughly 18 oz. each (500 grams each)
    3.5 oz creme fraiche (1 dl)
    4 tbsp mayonnaise
    3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    salt
    black pepper

Of course it started snowing today again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mackerel_1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	54907

Here are the fish, almost ready. Look at that nice golden color

Name:	mackerel_smoked.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	54908

And here's the plate, ready to serve

Name:	smoked_mackerel.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	54909

Really nice, Henrik. Do you make your own creme fraiche?

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I, personally, have not made it with yogurt. I am told, that it works exactly the same, however.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Tasted it today, great creme fraiche! It worked very well with yoghurt. Thanks again.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure. I'm glad you like it.

Holy Mackerel!!!

Just had to say it.

I love smoking fish with cherry wood, seems to satisfy my affinity for cherry wood more than other meats.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, will have to try cherry wood when smoking fish next time.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder how good a cherry wood smoked cherry pie would be....

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll send a cherrywood smoked cherry pie to the band Warrant, and get their pinion.

Nice job Henrik! I love fish mousse. Mackerel is not common here, but salmon is. So is pike, and both make superb mousse, either with cooked, or raw fish(which is cooked later).

Comment

I don't know but FISH PUDDING don't know if I have the stones ha-ha, or to you tekies lol! I did good huh?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here