Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a good grilled salmon recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty much straight from the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith):
    • 1/2 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce
    • 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (basically the juice from 1 medium lemon)
    • 1/2 tsp dried dill
    • healthy pinch (maybe 1/8 tsp) ground cloves

Combine all of the above in a large bowl and whisk to thoroughly emulsify. Add salmon fillets (skin on) and make sure that they are all coated thoroughly. I normally let the fillets sit in the bowl for 20 minutes, or so.

Grill skin side down over med-high direct heat (you're going to get flare-ups from the oil).

When done (it only takes a few minutes) slide a large, sharp spatula between the meat and the skin. The skin will stick to the grill grate. I don't bother to flip the fillets.

Serve immediately.

Meanwhile, turn the grill up to "warp 10" heat for roughly 10 minutes. The stuck skin will turn to ash and can easily be cleaned off the grates.

Comment

Folks - is it possible to overbrine salmon? I normally follow the guidelines on this website but so much going on at Thanksgiving (we host) and I include salmon with the typical Thanksgiving menu. This year was hoping to lighten the load on Thanksgiving Day, wanting to brine the salmon the day before and let it sit in fridge overnight, along with the turkey. But wasn't sure if that would make the fish too salty.

Comment

No brine, start with a good coat of Old Bay, followed by a layer of Dijon mustard, topped with a sprinkle of more Old Bay. Grill to 135-140 and enjoy.

Comment

I use Farm Raised salmon. It has more fat than sockeye and I like fat.
          If I have time I marinate over night in some 2 buck chuck or cheaper wine.
          Season with some sort of Cajun seasoning. Sometimes just buy Emeril's but I think it is a little too mild on cayenne.
          I start flesh side down to get some grill marks then finish skin side down.

When it gets close to being done I do a couple layers of maple syrup glaze.

I do not use the SNS because the hot side is too hot in my opinion. I would say a medium fire with two layers of kingsford. On the side I usually throw in a chunk or two of apple wood.

Cajun Seasoning

2-Salt
          1-Pepper
          2-Cayenne Pepper
          1-Onion powder
          1.5-Garlic Powder
          1-Oregano
          1-Thyme

I do not really measure anything I just mix up to how I like it to taste but provided numbers for a starting point of portions. For me it taste heat forward with a herb flavor lingering.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here