Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp?

Never made it that I can remember, not my thing. But I want to make some for Mrs Mosca.

I’m thinking of keeping it simple: Skewer some peeled and deveined shrimp, then salt and pepper, and brush with bbq sauce as they cook, 6-8 minutes turning frequently.

Now for the questions:

Direct or indirect?
    What temp?
    How long, is my guess correct?

These guys have never steered me wrong: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...ll-shrimp.html

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, we posted recipes from the same site at the time, must be something to it!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I do this, only I make Meathead's New Orleans butter sauce (which is basically MMD in butter). It works really well. I do the shrimp raft for all my cooks.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds great!

Mrs CaptainMike loves this recipe and requests it often: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ka-recipe.html

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That would definitely work!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. I've been eyeing that for a while.

When I grill (or broil if the weather is too nasty) shrimp, I keep it very simple:
    1. Leave the shell on to protect the shrimp while cooking.
    2. Devein with the shell on.
    3. In a bowl, coat the shrimp evenly with olive oil and a liberal amount of Old Bay seasoning.
    4. Cook over (or 3-4 inches under if in the broiler) direct heat (not blast furnace hot) for a roughly 3 minutes per side ... until they're all pink and the shells are just starting to develop a little char.
    5. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, peel and serve with your sauce of choice.

They can either be served hot or, nice and cold as shrimp cocktail.

Never tried basting with BBQ sauce, but that sounds good, too.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; July 10, 2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca MBMorgan has good advice. Old Bay is a good choice. I peel mine and leave the tail end on when grilling. We have grilled shrimp often grilled a number of different ways. Eight year old Granddaughter devoured them.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Bay for the win!

Do shrimp often. Just did some Australian Honey Sesame marinade, quite simple. Direct heat, about 2 min a side, delish! I did about 4 lbs, so you should have a easy time of it.
    You don’t have a lot of time to baste, due to the cook going so fast. Watch it closely or it will get away from you & you will over cook em.
    I peeled them due to the marinade.
    Last edited by FireMan; July 10, 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I like to keep it simple: brush with a melted butter, garlic salt and black pepper mixture. When you mix it all together like that, you can then taste it to make sure it's just right before brushing it on.

All the above suggestions are solid. Really, it's hard to go wrong unless you cook it to a rubbery texture.

Comment

Two words of caution when cooking shrimp 1) don't over cook them, when they turn translucent and begin to take on a pinkish color they are done, period, again do not over cook or they turn to rubber and 2) I suggest some sort of cooking mat otherwise they tend to stick to the grates. Plenty of good recipes above, good luck !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	skewers 05.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	530560

Comment

Mmmnn, shrimp on the Barbie!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s it, yup.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            You betcha' ! FireMan

Shrimp tacos - just toss shrimp with some oil, chili powder, salt, and grill on skewers over high heat to blacken slightly
          Grill a few flour tortillas to soften add some char
          Serve with shredded red cabbage, pico de gallo, avocado chunks, cilantro, and lime/chiopotle aioli (mayo/chipotle/lime juice and salt to taste)

Comment

I find using two skewers in shrimp helpful. It keeps them from turning on the skewer when I go to flip. Maybe if I didn’t use the cheap, round, monster toothpick ones I wouldn’t have this problem....

Comment

So, 450ish, keeping a close watch?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds pretty good to me!

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds about right ... especially the "close watch" part.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Couldn’t tell ya my temp, used charcoal open grill, hot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CC0CB5F-609E-4718-8106-EED87E79369B.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	530633

I tasted one, the texture seemed pretty good. The flavor was okay, I wouldn’t go looking for them but they’d do in a pinch.

Comment

I live on the west coast by the beach and one of my favorite places serves mixed seafood kabobs grilled over mesquite served with lemon and tartar sauce. It has salmon, shrimp, white fish & scallops with veggies (tomato, green peppers & onions.)

You don't need all that, you can just do shrimp & veggies or a shrimp/scallop would be nice. In regards to BBQ sauce, never tried it & never seen it offered at any seafood restaurants.

I haven't seen their whole process, but their grill has direct & indirect zones.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Enterprise_Kabob.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	530687
                Last edited by Larry Grover; July 10, 2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

My favorite is to skewer the peeled shrimp, coat with melted butter and dill weed. Cook direct a couple on minutes until color changes to pink so as not to get too tough.

Comment

I heat olive oil with pepper flakes and garlic pretty low so I don't burn the garlic(in cast iron). Let it infuse the oil really well,then spoon out the garlic, increase heat,cook shrimp, add garlic back for last minute or so.
                    On the grill I use a grill basket season with olive oil salt/pepper and garlic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here