Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salmon that is different and very good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salmon that is different and very good...

Sometimes you stumble on to a recipe that looks different and it motivates you to give it a try. I tried this recipe for smoked salmon and it was an instant hit with all of my quests at a football party I was hosting to watch the Seahawks vs the Arizona Cardinals. One quest said I normally do not like smoked salmon but this is delicious. The cinnamon is the secret ingredient. Smoked Sesame Ginger Wasabi Salmon on cinnamon sticks. http://www.bradleysmoker.co.nz/recip...wasabi-salmon/ If you try it let me know what you think.

Neat. I just bought some cinnamon sticks for my Corned Beef/Pastrami Recipe, and I got way more than I need, that's fo sho.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Guy, orange salmon are great. Most is orange-pink to pale pink. I used to do a lot of salmon until the price shot up. I am an unlucky salmon fisherman but had a 100% success rate getting salmon filets from the grocery store.

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude, you sooo need to visit us, in Houston. In July-September, salmon are plentiful and in so many types.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      It's on my list Strat! Google Maps tells me the trip from my house would be 69 hrs, 3,688 miles one way. That's nearly 6 12-hr days of driving. Thankfully you're in Houston and not Nome or Barrow, lol. My Brothers in Law own a business and they named it Kenai Development because they're HUGE Alaska fans. The one makes yearly to semi-yearly trips up toward the Kenai (not sure where exactly). I wish I had the guts to fly.

The above recipe is a variation of a time honored method, in salmon country. It looks very good, if you are hungry for that flavor profile. Most times, when I do salmon, I grill or smoke, in some variation. Why? 'Cause it's freakin' good! Even my wife, who doesn't care for salmon, like this stuff. Let me know if you or anyone need recipes.

Comment

Strat, I'd love to hear about how you smoke and grill your salmon. I've been smoking salmon in my gasser at 230-240degF (the lowest temp I can get) over a water bath with a couple of Mo's smoking pouches filled with applewood chips. It takes about 2 hours to come to 145degF internal for a thick 1lb piece of salmon.

My DH and family love salmon and I fix it often (grilled, smoked, and baked in the oven), but I don't eat it, so I can never judge whether my methods are good. My family seem to like what I turn out, but I'm always looking to improve my game.

So if you have any good smoking/grilling tips, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        When I get home from work and jury duty tonight, I'll lay some recipes on you. They're all pretty easy.

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
      Let me know if you or anyone need recipes.
      Would love some recipes Strat!

Comment

Okay, here is the best grilling recipe I have for salmon(it is also good with any broiled meat). The base recipe is:

½ cup soy sauce.
        3 Tbsp. oil. It can be olive, peanut, etc.
        1 Tbsp.coarse black pepper

With the above, chop ½ cup fresh herbs. Cilantro, basil, dill, etc. You can use 1, or a combination. It will be almost a slurry-like consistency. Just mix ingredients, and place skinless fish into marinade. Marinade till the meat is just a couple shades darker. NO MORE, as the meat will be too salty. The process will only take a couple minutes. Broil using your preferred method. I've used this recipe, in many variations, in the restaurant for 30 years. It never ceases to please. This recipe will caramelize well, and give you moist and tasty fish. You want a bit of char here. The recipe is easy to adjust to just about any flavor profile you like, and can be topped with a "matching" fruit or savory salsa, if you like. Mexican? Add a pinch of cumin, some chopped garlic and cilantro(it makes killer tacos). Greek? Add lemon zest, basil and a bit of oregano. The possibilities are endless.I got fruit salsa recipes too, if anyone wants any.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          This sounds delicious, Strat50. Thanks so much!

Kathryn

Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
        .I got fruit salsa recipes too, if anyone wants any.
        Thanks Strat50! I am lookign for a really good mango salsa. The ones I found from online, like Rachel Ray, etc, are just ok. My Sister in Law has a hybrid of two recipes and hers is fantastic on blackened fish tacos...but alas she won't share her recipe. Anyway, I am lookign for a killer one.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay, here goes:
          1 pound mangoes diced â…Å“"
          ½ cup red onion fine dice
          1 tsp chopped fresh garlic(more if being used with a savory recipe, or omit)
          ½ cup diced red bell peppers(roasted is good, but so is fresh. canned isn't bad either)
          ½ cup sweet chili sauce(Mae Ploy brand)
          ½ cup chopped cilantro or to taste (fresh basil is also good if you don't like cilantro)
          2 T. rice wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients and use within 24-36 hours. You can substitute papaya, orange, pineapple in any amounts, for mangos, or use a bit of 'em all. If you like more heat, mince some jalapeño, serrano, etc. This my "base" fruit salsa recipe for grilling. It goes well with the above marinade, but is also good with jerk, teriyaki, blackening seasoning, etc. I play around a lot with the amounts of sweet chili sauce and rice vinegar depending on the fruit, or combination of fruit. At the restaurant, we could serve an old boot with this stuff and it will fly out the door.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir!

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds delish! Thanks!!!

Okay, here's a good smoked salmon(or any fish, really) brine.

2 cups soy sauce(for this,I like Kikkoman)
        1 cup water
        1 cup, white wine, beer(any type, even stout!), brandy, cognac, etc.
        1 cup brown sugar if you like it sweet, ¼-½ cup if you like savory
        1 T. tabasco
        1T. garlic powder(granulated is fine too)
        1T. onion powder(ditto)
        1 T. coarse black pepper
        1 cup fresh herbs(optional) Dill, basil, cilantro, etc.
        1 tsp. kosher salt.

Combine above ingredients, marinate a minimum of 12 hours. The fish should be markedly darker. You can marinate for a couple days, if you like and if possible. Remove fish from marinade and drain/dry for at least an hour. You may blot excess moisture with paper or lint free towels as needed/wanted.Drying should be done in the refrigerator.

Smoke for enough time to reach an internal temp of at least 160. How long this takes will depend on your individual rig, and preferences of smoke flavor levels. Figure 2-4 hours. You may brush with honey, brown sugar syrup, etc., if you like during the smoke for a harder "pellicle" or bark.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. If you want a chewy fish, remove from your smoker and place in a dehydrator, at the highest temperature setting, until you achieve the texture you prefer. If you don't have a dehydrator, leave in the smoker at low temps(180-225) till you achieve the texture you like. Your oven(unless it's a convection oven) won't cut it. This stage may take 1-4 hours(I just leave in my dehydrator overnight, but I time my smoke session to make this possible)

This is another base recipe, so feel free to experiment. Citrus zest, fruit juice, and so forth can be added to "shade" the flavors. Chipotle is killer if you like heat, for example. The idea here is for the user to obtain there own "house" flavors and textures. No rules, right? The only ingredients and proportions that are important is the soy, sugar, water,beer(juice, wine, etc). These will establish the base flavor(s). The rest is up to you.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Strat!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here