Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have smoked blue fish recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have smoked blue fish recipe

I recently tried smoked bluefish and it was phenomenal. I am brand new to the Pit and was hoping someone might have a recipe. I have a Weber Smokey mountain. Also should I smoke in another smoker or can I smoke in same WSM? Thank you in advance!!

Welcome @scottsochock

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Scott. I think the recommendation is that it's OK to smoke fish occasionally in a smoker, but if you smoke a lot of fish, you should have a dedicated fish smoker.

Comment

Not familiar with blue fish so can't recommend anything. Go to the Forum section above and click on the seafood recipes, there is a lot of smoked variations in there. I do salmon all the time. I dry brine it with salt and brown sugar, or sometimes soy sauce and brown sugar, over night in the rfrig. I then smoke it with fresh herbs using apple or cherry wood at about 180*. Don't really know if that applies to blue or not.

And by the way, welcome to the Pit !!!

Comment

maybe ty an advanced search, I think someone posted a bluefish cook recently.
          and.......welcome! smoke on!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! That is a good question. I'll be interested in the responses. I think smokenoob is correct. Someone posted on this not to long ago. I'll start looking around.

Comment

You may want to start here scottsochocki

20 minute dry brine with equal generous amounts of salt and sugar. After 20 minutes wash the brine off in ice water. Grill it, bake it, sauté it. Info

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't tell you how pleased I was that you pointed to my bluefish! I've also done it reliably on my PK Grill using indirect method. Depends on the size of the filet. Feel free to experiment with the ratios of salt/sugar/soy sauce. And don't forget to rinse!
                Last edited by carolts; March 24, 2018, 08:44 AM. Reason: just remembered I did do a KBQ batch!

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like you have it down! Thanks for YOUR post! carolts

Or try this, by Three Men with Too Much Time on Their Hands. It's generic. I've used it to great effect on salmon, bluefish, trout, whiting and mackerel. Doesn't matter whether you're doing hot or cold smoking - the time just gets changed.

Yeah, it's a bit more work, but the results pay off.

Comment

Thank you so much, I have a great deal of blue fish here in CT that no one wants and LOVE it smoked! I will post some photos when I get done with the first batch (in a month or two when the fish come in)

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm from Danbury originally, and well remember the many Sound bluefish expeditions of yore!

• carolts
                  carolts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope they run better than last year. They were pretty scarce up here north of Boston.

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great! Can't wait to see the pics!

I love small blues. Big blues are too oily for me. Love me some bluefish with barbecue sauce.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But the big ones are better for smoking because of the oiliness!

Just think Bluefish Pate!

• Hulagn1971
                  Hulagn1971 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF that makes sense.

• scottsochocki
                  scottsochocki commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The snappers are great fried in a cast iron!!

I had earlier commented that I was going to do some in the KBQ when I remembered I already had! Here's the proof from this past summer...ribs and bluefish for my sister's family. Note I use disposable grill toppers rather than try to get the fish off the grill. Once it cools, the skin peals right off for serving. Slice with a sharp knife or just attack it family-style with a bunch of forks!

Note: I didn't have both ribs and fish in the KBQ at once. I did fish, then ribs, since we usually eat the bluefish cold. It's also really good right out of the smoker, but I really like the texture when chilled.

If you must have sauce with it, I recommend a sweet mustard dill similar to what you would use with gravlax (cold Norwegian dill brined salmon).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	471702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376 2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	471703

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are the RIBS Mudkat! hehehe

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol!

• scottsochocki
                  scottsochocki commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the posts, I know you to ask advice from now!!

In contrast to the post by EdF, I have found that 1 cup of table salt & 2 cups brown sugar per gallon of water has been an awesome brine for any fish (or fowl) that you wish to smoke. Give it 8-12 hours, then smoke (no rinse needed). Love smoked bluefish and this recipe works for it too! Enjoy!

Comment

We use a dry rub on the salmon my husband is asked to bring to every family party -- basically the salt and sugar mix you'd use for gravlax. Some of the salmon we get is very oily so it would probably be good for bluefish too. (I've only seen it out here about twice, before all the local fish markets closed down... we loved it. ) The classic proportion is half and half salt and sugar and a good grinding of white pepper, but we like 2 parts salt to one of sugar (more or less) better. I use "evaporated cane juice" or other raw sugar because that's what I have -- doubt it matters much. For a 2 -- 2 1/2 pound skin-on salmon (we take off a hunk from the tail and eat it for dinner) he just sprinkles on a good coating -- starting with the inside-- and lets it stand (covered) for an hour or so. It needs to chambre to ambient temperature to cook well anyway. (If the fish isn't as fresh as he thought when he bought it I scrub it with lemon juice (vinegar in a pinch) and a little salt to , then wipe it with a paper towel dampened with more lemon or vinegar.) If you were making gravlax you'd sandwich a lot of fresh dill between two pieces of fish, and sometimes I put dill (seed, fresh cut-up, whatever) in the salt mix. (I like rosemary better than dill myself-- farmed salmon is so dull and we'd never do this to a precious wild-caught salmon! I have a big rosemary bush and pack the inside with branches.)

For hot-smoking you'd probably want to hold the fish overnight, and if doing skinless filets just use about as much mix as you'd put salt on. Wipe dry before putting on the grill.

Why oh why can't we have walleye out here. The F&G department has infested our waters with every kind of alien "game" fish and fishermen releasing bait have finished the job -- but no walleye that I ever heard of.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here