Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked lobster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked lobster

Hi all,

thought I'd treat myself today. I bought a nice lobster to smoke on my kamado. I did shrimp some weeks ago and it turned out so good I wanted to try lobster also. Just like with the shrimp I decided to use pecan wood.

The brick in place, fire just started

Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster_brick.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	43245

Smoking it was real simple. I used the "brick trick" again to reduce the surface available for coals. This was so I could still create a pile of coals to get a good fire going, but run at a lower temp. I smoked the lobster at 190° F (90° C) for 30 minutes.

Good fire going, time to add some pecan wood

Name:	lobster_coals.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	43246

Lobster on the grate, just (seconds ago) added the wood, therefore the smoke

Name:	lobster_smoke.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	43244

I usually have either aioli or just plain mayonnaise to go with the lobster, but I wanted a second dip sauce today, something to complement the smoke flavor of the lobster and the mayonnaise, so I whipped up a rather sweet sauce.

Sauce ingredients
    1 tbsp hoisin sauce 1 tbsp cognac
    1 tbsp ketjap manis
    A splash of soy
    0.4 cups cooking cream (the richer the better)
    0.5 tbsp corn starch (for thickening)

I put all sauce ingredients in a small pan, and heated it up. I let it simmer for a few minutes, then added the corn starch just to thicken it a bit. Depending on what kind you use, the amount may vary. Start out easy.

The lobster was great, and I really liked the sweet asian style sauce, it went well with the mayo and the lobster.

Lunchtime! Mayo to the left, my own sauce to the right

Name:	smoked_lobster.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	43247
    Attached Files

Wow... nice, Henrik! I always wondered about smoking lobster... could never figure out the temp and time to use (I hate rubbery seafood)... I want to try this now.

Comment

Nice !

Comment

Wow, nice cook Henrik, did the smoke come through the shell?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, yes it did. I ran it for 30 minutes on lower temp on purpose, to make sure the smoke "went in". Subtle smoke flavor, but it was good. I didn't want it to overpower the lobster flavor.

The BEST lobster I ever had was grilled over a mesquite fire and it was amazing. I bet that was delicious.

Comment

Yet another post by Henrik that includes:

1. Specimen I doubt I will ever get to grill

2. List of sauces, spices, and other things I have to google to know what the crap they are

3. Something I do like. In this instance, MAYO

Growing up eating shrimp and crawfish, mayo mixed with ketchup, little mustard or Tony's....and GET BUSY.

Comment

Henrik, always raising the bar! With the price of lobster, I'd be afraid to experiment. I did get some frozen snow crab legs recently that might like this treatment though. Hmmmm....

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Give it a try! Then dip the crab legs in melted butter. Good stuff.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here