Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schmancy Salmom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmancy Salmom

Quick question...it shows to add the salt to the half cup hot water and pour the slurry. Question is do you just pour the liquid which has absorbed the salt or also the salt that has not been dissolved?

I would assume you use hot water to make sure salt all dissolves, then add it.

Comment

All the salt does not dissolve...no matter how long or hot

Comment

I don't worry about it when I do it. Never had a problem. It is a fantastic recipe.

Comment

I love the recipe also but have always wondered if the slurry was just the liquid or including the undisolved salt also. I have made it 4 times and have always included the salt. This time I just used the liquid so we will see.

Comment

Any undissolved salt should be suspended in the liquid. You are then supposed to rinse off any slurry after brining. So I don't think it would make a difference. At least not enough for me to want to strain and get something else dirty. Will be interesting to see if you see a difference.

Comment

Agreed...but all the salt is actually just sitting at the bottom of the measuring cup. I have used REALLY hot water and mixed it off and on for 15 minutes and there still seems to be a significant amount of undissolved salt

Comment

I don’t know what the correct answer is but that salt never dissolves so I just use the same measuring cup to add the cold water because I assume you need all the salt in the brine.

It usually dissolves in the total brine volume of water.

Though when I remember I use a dry cure for 24 hours instead of a brine.
                Last edited by Polarbear777; December 31, 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

All of it is the correct answer. That method is a way to measure weight regardless of granule size. I actually use rock salt in my Brined.

Comment

When I added the slurry (saltwater and undissolved salt) to the 1/2 gal of water, it all dissolved.

Comment

Thanks everyone...not including it did not seem to have a negative effect. I will include it going forward. Just seemed that if you were going to include it anyway why not just put it into the rest from the get go. I am sure I am WAY overthinking this!

Comment

• jlazar
                        jlazar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey, I'm the same way.

• HorseDoctor
                        HorseDoctor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I use slightly different recipe but with the same salt concentration. Put all the ingredients into cold water and give it 15-20 seconds with an immersion blender and you're good to go!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here