Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belated Report on My Lobster Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belated Report on My Lobster Experience

Lobster--meh. Most every lobster I've eaten came off of a Red Lobster restaurant platter with a name like "Admiral's Feast" or "Captain Platter", so I was quite excited to do my own using live lobsters. Despite our plan to grill one and SV the other, time interfered and we ended up doing both in SV--basically a butter/tarragon poached lobster. It was cooked nicely (per Kenji to 140°F), but--well, I just don't get the appeal, especially considering the price as compared to most other shellfish. I do regret not getting to grill one.

I guess I'm a low class hick, but, honestly, I'd rather eat crab, shrimp, mussels, oysters, scallops, clams (especially fried or in chowder), squid, octopus, and any number of fin fish. On the plus side, we did get a couple of quarts of nice lobster stock for future use. I see clam chowder on the horizon.
    Last edited by Willy; December 20, 2017, 06:47 PM.

Yeah the grilled would have been the ticket. Maybe we would have had pics if they were grilled. Then again we could have had pics of them in a baggy. I would reload & not be so lazy. Just do it Will.

Comment

Dang, I wish you could have grilled one. Oh well maybe next time. Cheers!

Comment

We do the Florida "Spiny Lobster" variety on the gasser. Split them in half, place on the direct heat, brush with lemon butter. They're done as soon as the flesh turns from translucent to opaque. Most folks only cook the tails, what a waste!

No pictures after cooking, but here's what they look like fresh out of the water:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	426619

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        "Grandpa! I'm not touching that thing with my hand!"

Tasty bugs!

Comment

Lobster is tasty, but unless I’m living in New England, I’m not buying!

Comment

If ya don’t wanna do lobster due to yer budget, then I suggest some mud bugs. Aka- crawfish. Ummm. 😊

Comment

HawkerXP you nailed it. johnec00 you look like you in your avatar without the hat! GD may not wanted to touch with the flesh but she sure was havin fun with Gramps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here