Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Makes Tuna Salad More Interesting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Makes Tuna Salad More Interesting!

Tuna is a great way to economize your meal budget. It's a lean fish product (get the kind with water) and relatively inexpensive.

I'm a bachelor and often have to throw out unused food, and it breaks my heart everytime. Unfinished milk, loaves of bread, chips/cereal etc. that I buy tend to go bad before I can finish them off.

I recently bought a value pack of eggs (36 count) and the expiration date was quickly approaching. I saw a jug of vinegar and hot sauce in my cabinet, and had the idea to pickle the remaining eggs. The acids in the vinegar and salts in the hot sauce do a great job of preventing bacterial growth in foods that are submerged in these acidic liquids.

I also own a neat little egg boiler. Boils 6 eggs at a time with a minimal amount of water. Not really any clean-up hassle after using it also!

I boiled the remaining eggs and meanwhile mixed up a pickling juice.
    Nothing fancy, just a simple half and half mixture of white vinegar and hot sauce, and 2 small bottles of garlic sauce.

I think this was a winning idea! I solved the problem of the expired eggs, I now have something to snack on (munching on the pickled eggs from time to time) and lastly spicing up my tuna salad. (Using pickled eggs in the salad)

Hope this post gives you some ideas.

Please feel free to share other ideas on how to economize! I'm always scouting for "loss leaders" and other deals. A deep freezer was such a wise investment for me, even as a bachelor. I can imagine the savings it provides for large families.
    Attached Files

An expiration date doesn't mean the food goes bad the day after. It is safe to eat well beyond that. Here's one of scores of articles on the subject: http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/1...ck-to-toss-it/

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      PS: Here's a simple test for egg freshness: https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...d-eat-0154309/

• SteveFromLafayette
      SteveFromLafayette commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the links, but truthfully I knew this already. I usually sniff around and make sure there's no stink to things like milk. Dairy products in general are something I don't take risks with.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      We keep our yard eggs for months unrefridgerated

Cool idea, thanks for sharing! I love me some Frank's, in fact I put that $#!+ on everything.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
      Editing a comment
      Darn right!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      t work I only use original franks. Go Thur one of those jugs a week. Love it!!

Thanks Steve

Comment

Very creative! Now I'm hungry for tuna salad.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
      Editing a comment
      Cheap and tasty, can't go wrong.

My kids and I like to make tuna sandwiches with tuna & Duke's mayo, on toast with Frank's mixed in until it's pinkish orange. It's incredible, at least we think so. Never thought of tuna salad like this.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm, I've never had Duke's mayo but I just may have to try your method. I don't recall seeing it in my local grocery stores but surely it's easy to order online.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      SteveFromLafayette It's not at stores in my area either but I order it from their website. I think it's mostly a southern thing.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Dukes is the best mayo on the planet. Blue plate is next, followed in a distant 3rd by hellmans

I see you shop at Costco too. That vinegar is a steal there.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
      Editing a comment
      Definitely. I buy most of my stuff in bulk if I can help it. I read the sale papers and scan for the good deals. I hate running into the dreaded "limit 2 per customer" disclaimer. But I try to get someone else to buy it for me, and I pay them back by cooking them a free meal. So it's win/win.

I was just thinking about tuna salad today - specifically that I haven't had it in a while. Now I might have to. I agree with Huskee, I can put that sauce on anything.

Comment

PsindersonSteveFromLafayette Huskee i make tuna every day at work. It is so under rated. It's amazing what some celery/ salt, egg, white pepper, eggs, Herb and an acid can do.

try a sammich with flavored (franks) chicken strips in the sammich. So, so delicious!

Comment

Pickled eggs eventually go bad too. Although it takes months. Cool idea.

Comment

One of my favorite drunk snacks are pickled quail eggs/garlic/jalapenos (all from the same jar) on a saltine... Mrs.Calhoun won't kiss me afterwards for some reason.

Comment

Fry oysters, toss in hotsauce/melted butter mix. Add to a crusty hogie bun and top with slaw... Best possible boy on the planet... Or go to The Black Pearl on Galveston, and order the black pearl po-boy

Comment

Huskee

Guess what I ran into yesterday...?
              Attached Files

Comment

SteveFromLafayette That's a beautiful thing. You are set! My wife and kids even think it's a noticeable improvement over Hellman's and Kraft, and usually I'm the only one with weird picky tastes. Spinaker turned me onto it way back. It's just mayo, but it's good at being mayo!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here