Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Tales

Some folks who have never set foot in Texas, have this misconceived notion that all of Texas has this John Wayne-like landscape of tumble weeds, sand and lots of cactus. If you were in west Texas around say El Paso, you would be correct but Texas has 5 distinct regions that are as different as night is to day. Along the Gulf Coast, where we live, we're more like Florida and southern Louisiana then say Phoenix. Along our coast we have a number of barrier islands that have created an entire bay system and inter-coastal waterway. Outside of that is the open Gulf of Mexico. Thus there are two major marine biospheres that produce an abundance of seafood both in and out of our shoreline.

Of course the Gulf has too numerous an amount of species to even begin to mention here, but the sport fish most popular along the reefs and in the deeper part of the offshore regions is the Red Snapper (or Snapper for short). Within the inshore areas of our vast bay systems the fish that most dominates the stalking wade fisherman and best represents Texas fishing is the Speckled Sea Trout (aka the Speck).

Most folks like to fillet these fish and consume fried or grilled or even smoked. Our family prefers the whole fish which is consumed head and all. Of course for the bone weary squeamish, it does take a rather delicate skill to keep from ingesting pin bones but dogging those pesky little needles is worth it to me.

Below are a couple of fish I caught last summer and had in my freezer. Along with Red Drum (or Redfish) and Flounder, these are the species we eat on a regular basis and try to keep stocked in our freezer. So let me introduce to you, Mr. Snapper and his mate, Mr. Speck, fully cleaned, scaled and gutted .......

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapper-spec raw.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	419105

I wanted to smoke these guys but first wanted to make a stuffing for added depth of flavor and texture. I normally do a breaded stuffing using either oysters, shrimp, scallops or crab meat (sometimes in combination). In this case I decided on oyster. I started my mise en place using a medium shallot, fresh diced garlic, cilantro and fresh dill ......

Name:	fish prep 1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	419106

... I then took a pint (per fish) of fresh oysters and gave them a quick chop, reserving part of the liquor. The same would be true if I used shrimp, scallops or crab meat. You want to distribute the meat into the breading .....

Name:	fish prep 3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	419107

.... then begin to combine my wet ingredients by sweating the shallots and garlic in olive oil and butter.....

Name:	fish prep 2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	419108

...... followed by a de-glazing with some white wine. Once cooked down I added my chopped oysters and their liquor .....

Name:	fish prep 4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	419109

.... I reduce and thicken with some additional butter while I prepare my dry ingredients. I used about five slices of fresh bread (day old or crusty left over works great too) along with the chopped cilantro, Tony Chacheres seasoning and ground pepper blending all in the food processor ......

Name:	fish prep 5.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	419110

.... then combined the dry with the wet in the pan. I like to leave the mixture a bit wet so it sticks and better conforms to the cavities of the fish. To be made drier additional bread crumbs help to bind up the mixture ......

Name:	fish prep 6.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	419111

..... I then simply stuffed the fish cavity as well as into the head. I place some sprigs of fresh dill weed in with the stuffing, love the flavor of dill with fish. The outside of the fish is prepped with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, more of the Tony C. seasoning and some dried dill. Ready for their rendezvous with the smoker .......

Name:	stuffed fish pre-cook.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	419112

..... I don't generally like to impart a lot of smoke to this fish, unlike something meaty like sword or salmon, the meat here is a bit more delicate and easily over powered. They cooked for about 45 minutes at 300* to an IT of around 135-140*, making sure the area around the stuffing is thoroughly heated through ......

Unfortunately when done I walked away to prepare something else and the ravenous crowd of hungry folks slaughtered my catch before I could get a good pic, but below is the end result. Fish super tender, juicy with a nice light smoke. Stuffing was off the charts, but I'm partial to oyster stuffing. Again I realize some folks just don't want to tackle whole fish but fillets on the smoker are to die for as well. Fresh seafood seems to take a back seat to beef and pork but will always be high on the Troutman's list of served cuisine .....

Name:	cooked fish.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	419113

SO KEEP YOUR TACKLE DRY AND YOUR HOOKS WET !!!! TROUTMAN OUT !!!!!

Looks great! I am far from the Gulf of Mexico up here in North Alabama, but you are inspiring me to try something different. I gotta wait for the butt that is currently smoking to come off the kettle first though!

Comment

Great write up, thank you! So many great techniques to learn, I appreciate you sharing this. Looks really good.

Comment

looks great stuffed. I never stuffed fish. my fav is cobia and specks. being from pa I only get these when I go to the obx for a couple weeks in the summer. get my fish Alaska salmon the rest of the year. great for smoke. that snapper looks great.

Comment

Super nice! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Interesting, the only parts of Texas I’ve seen are the Amarillo, Lubbock, El Paso areas. Anything else I’ve just read about or "seen pitchers". I did manage to buy some red snapper from my fish guy who comes up from Galveston. Wife & I were just talking about them (in the freezer) & you post this. I now know exactly what to do with em’. Thanks.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m 90 miles from Galveston and own a beach house down there. Speck was caught in a Galveston West Bay behind my house !!!

Great write up and to smoke the Snapper and Speck!

Comment

Love some Snapper! That stuffing recipe looks great! Any time I'm down Pensacola way, I shop at Joe Patti Seafood and most always make it home with a Snapper or two for the freezer.

Name:	fish1.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	419156

Name:	fish2.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	419157

Done!

Name:	fish3.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	419158

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice lookin CSQ. I do the same on my gasser....

That cook looks like a winner.

Comment

Troutman writes about fish? go figure! That makes me hungry!!!

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea been known to wet a hook every once in a while

Beautiful!

Comment

love cooking reds, specs, flounder, and sheepshead on the grill!

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You know tweeter, I have never cooked a sheepshead, can't stand those teeth, they creep me out !!!

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Headed down there in late January early February. Rent a house on north beach. Probably catch a few then and prepare. I love em!

That's some worthy Lowcountry gullah cuisine right there!

Been a banner year for reds, specks and flounder around these parts. Favorite method for reds is to cook a whole seasoned skin on fillet over hot coals with lid closed, hint of smoke, flip it once and finish with lemon.... good eats!

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Trout is right. Grill em up skin on, man, they are fantastic. I like flounder whole with the skin peeled back to the tail. Season the cavity and meat, and fold skin back. Then grill. Viola

• BourBonQ
                    BourBonQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman yes, "on the half shell" is exactly what I was going after, you said it better than I. Those scales and skin create a nice little "steaming dish", favorite way to cook redfish. Flip it once very carefully to finish.

texastweeter, sounds fantastic. I generally score a whole flounder and pan fry in cast iron skillet.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Stuff flounder with the same stuffing as above and eat it whole as well. Yummy to the tummy !!!

Caught about 250lb spinner shark once. Steaked it out. Didn't have anything with me but traditional BBQ seasonings at the time so cooked it like pork steaks. Man it was excellent!

Comment

Tight lines Troutman! When I get back on the bayou I’m following your lead and stuffin’ some specks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here