Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking an Octopus - Challenge Reluctantly Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokyYank
    replied
    Howdy all,

Didn't want to post a duplicate, but please see my questions here:

I've found a lot of grilled octopus recipes on the net, but not many smoked. Most I've seen are cold smoked, which I don't want to do. Anyone have a recipe

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Digiman
    replied
    I recently had a smoked octopus in a Michelin starred restaurant. Their approach was different and supports Meathead's comment #15.3. They smoked it for 4 hours (mild wood) until it got hard/rubbery. They then used the smoked and dried octopus to grate it over food to give it some taste without overpowering everything. Think of it as "parmigiano reggiano" of the sea.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    I just hated the taste. It was too strong. Overwheled it. Only did it once so perhaps I need to try again with less smoke. But right now my focus is on making it tender with crispy edges and a good grill flavor.

• Bumby
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead commented directly on my post. I'm honored! What do you think the issue is? Is it that smoke and octopus don't work together, that the texture of the octopus is off center after smoking or something else?

• Bumby
    commented on 's reply
    WillTravelForFood Thank you. I've started making octopus over the last few weeks - I braised some Octopus over the stove with a wine / Spanish paprika / garlic braising liquid to good success. I'll have to try the sous-vide...

• BourBonQ
    commented on 's reply
    This!

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. I have done this with success. Don't boil, simmer.

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    I have done it and I hated them. I have been fiddling with octopi for years. My best results have been to sous vide them then grill them. SV makes them very tender. Grilling crisps the tips and edges and adds flavor.

• WillTravelForFood
    replied
    Bumby Can't comment on the smoking aspect, but have observations from the numerous times we've tried grilled.

The absolute best grilled octopus we've ever had was at a steak house. We asked the chef how it was prepared, and they said they sous-vided the octopus for [an unknown disclosed amount of time] first, then finished it on the grill.

Through trial and error, we've come to the UNTESTED conclusion that the secret is to cook the octopus first (boiled? sous-vide? pick something...), then put it into the fridge to chill. Then grill it back up to temperature and serve.

We've done from sous-vide to grill as a few recipes suggested, and it was just okay - hence the suggestion of that cooling period.

Leave a comment:

• Bumby
    replied
    Looking to try to smoke some octopus tentacles. I see this thread from a few years ago - thought I'd see whether anyone has any success stories or advice. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• gijsveltman
    commented on 's reply
    JCGrill let us know if you find any, and your results. It's a little intimidating at first, but a real fun cook in my opinion!

• gijsveltman
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead please let us know how it goes!

• JCGrill
    replied
    I've had grilled in a restaurant a few times (fabulous) and I have asked a similar question on the boards here previously. Since gijsveltman has done it, I'd love to give it a shot. My only question is, where do I get one?

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    They say that as with squid, you have to cook it either really fast or really slow. Pressure cooker can be handy for the slow approach, which is what gijsveltman is describing. I've only done them that way myself.

• Meathead
    replied
    Agreed. Grilling them is traditional and delicious. My book has a lemon sauce for calimari that is great on octopus. The younger/smaller the better/more tender. In Greece they beat them on rocks to tenderize. Some folks peel them. Some simmer them then grill them. I have heard that Sous-Vide-Que is a great technique. I like the technique from @gijsveltman I have some in the freezer and I think I might try something like it.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here