Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking an Octopus - Challenge Reluctantly Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking an Octopus - Challenge Reluctantly Accepted

I have a couple family members who love octopus, and they've challenged me to smoke one for Christmas. As I'm not one to run away from a challenge, I'm going to give it a try. So, has anyone here smoked a whole octopus? I found an older thread discussing it but nobody there had.

I know it probably needs to be cooked a while to get tender but I also don't want it to get too much smoke. I thought about:

A. Smoking for several hours but wrapping after the first couple as to not over smoke
    B. Sous vide ahead of time until its cooked and put it in the fridge overnight. Throw it on the smoker to bring it back up to temp and hope it gets enough smoke in that time.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this successfully?

I had never heard such a thing. However a Google search suggests it is quite popular.

Here's a link from a different search: http://virtualweberbullet.com/octopus.html
    Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; November 21, 2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I've grilled octopus legs before. They were already blanched when I bought them, grilled was amazingly delicious. Let us know how the smoke goes. I wouldn't mind trying what you come up with.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Likewise! Not much experience with this one grilled or smoked. Great pressure cooker pasta sauce though!

Grill that sucker. It won't take smoke very well. IMHO

Comment

I wonder if you need to dry brine an octopus since it spends its life in a wet brine...

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Deep thought. 😂

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          That's that Jack Daniels time warp thinking.... better than those LSD think tanks the CIA had.

My initial thought is that octopus wouldn't be conducive to smoking... BUT, I've never tried smoking one, might be pleasantly surprised! Seasoned octopus tentacle grilled hot and fast after a quick citrus marinade is probably one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

Comment

I smoked one a bunch of years ago. coughed my brains out. Oh sorry not that kind of smoking. 😳

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          Had to be dried first.

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          Had to be dried first.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Better success than my feeble attempts, then...
          My screen kept cloggin', an' I gave up, after a time...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 22, 2017, 06:50 AM.

Sorry can't help but I am interested in hearing/seeing how it goes.

Comment

This is on my list of things to try. I think my plan will be to spritz the octopus and put it in the pellet pooper on smoke setting (165-180*) for about 30 min. The spritz should help the smoke to adhere. If I didn't have a pellet smoker, I probably would use a smoke tube inside my Weber kettle. After getting some smoke on, I'd SV the octopus and then grill it to get some char.

Comment

HackingBBQ I've done it a several times (just did one last night!), but it wasn't smoking all the way through. I normally clean the octopus and place it in a large pot, cover with water, a cup of white wine, lemon, peppercorns and some garlic, and boil it for about 45-60 minutes, until the thickest part of the tentacle is easily pierced with a knife. Then let it come down to room temperature completely (this is important to keep the skin on!). Afterward, I place it on the Kettle with a lot of smoke for about 20-30 minutes. Then I cut up the individual tentacles, sprinkle with olive oil, coarse black pepper, salt, paprika, and finish it off in a cast iron pan at medium-high temp with some vegetable oil, about 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and a little charred. It is pretty good!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Man that sounds great. I bet adding in some course diced onions and jalapenos to the black iron pan while finishing would be great add ins!

got one last year free from great-alaska-seafood.ccsend.com with directions and it turned out as octopus blubber gum. the tastes was pretty good but the chew went on and on and on and on and on please help me stop! goo d luck.

Comment

Two thoughts:

Tell them it got away,

And - oh wait that's all I got...

Comment

Agreed. Grilling them is traditional and delicious. My book has a lemon sauce for calimari that is great on octopus. The younger/smaller the better/more tender. In Greece they beat them on rocks to tenderize. Some folks peel them. Some simmer them then grill them. I have heard that Sous-Vide-Que is a great technique. I like the technique from @gijsveltman I have some in the freezer and I think I might try something like it.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They say that as with squid, you have to cook it either really fast or really slow. Pressure cooker can be handy for the slow approach, which is what gijsveltman is describing. I've only done them that way myself.

• gijsveltman
                  gijsveltman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead please let us know how it goes!

I've had grilled in a restaurant a few times (fabulous) and I have asked a similar question on the boards here previously. Since gijsveltman has done it, I'd love to give it a shot. My only question is, where do I get one?

Comment

• gijsveltman
                  gijsveltman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JCGrill let us know if you find any, and your results. It's a little intimidating at first, but a real fun cook in my opinion!

Looking to try to smoke some octopus tentacles. I see this thread from a few years ago - thought I'd see whether anyone has any success stories or advice. Cheers.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have done it and I hated them. I have been fiddling with octopi for years. My best results have been to sous vide them then grill them. SV makes them very tender. Grilling crisps the tips and edges and adds flavor.

• Bumby
                  Bumby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meathead commented directly on my post. I'm honored! What do you think the issue is? Is it that smoke and octopus don't work together, that the texture of the octopus is off center after smoking or something else?

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just hated the taste. It was too strong. Overwheled it. Only did it once so perhaps I need to try again with less smoke. But right now my focus is on making it tender with crispy edges and a good grill flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here