Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking an Octopus - Challenge Reluctantly Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Man that sounds great. I bet adding in some course diced onions and jalapenos to the black iron pan while finishing would be great add ins!

• RonB
    replied
    Two thoughts:

Tell them it got away,

And - oh wait that's all I got...

Leave a comment:

• Planner47
    replied
    got one last year free from great-alaska-seafood.ccsend.com with directions and it turned out as octopus blubber gum. the tastes was pretty good but the chew went on and on and on and on and on please help me stop! goo d luck.

Leave a comment:

• gijsveltman
    replied
    HackingBBQ I've done it a several times (just did one last night!), but it wasn't smoking all the way through. I normally clean the octopus and place it in a large pot, cover with water, a cup of white wine, lemon, peppercorns and some garlic, and boil it for about 45-60 minutes, until the thickest part of the tentacle is easily pierced with a knife. Then let it come down to room temperature completely (this is important to keep the skin on!). Afterward, I place it on the Kettle with a lot of smoke for about 20-30 minutes. Then I cut up the individual tentacles, sprinkle with olive oil, coarse black pepper, salt, paprika, and finish it off in a cast iron pan at medium-high temp with some vegetable oil, about 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and a little charred. It is pretty good!

Leave a comment:

• Hi, my name is Joe
    commented on 's reply
    I can confirm this.

• T-bone
    replied
    This is on my list of things to try. I think my plan will be to spritz the octopus and put it in the pellet pooper on smoke setting (165-180*) for about 30 min. The spritz should help the smoke to adhere. If I didn't have a pellet smoker, I probably would use a smoke tube inside my Weber kettle. After getting some smoke on, I'd SV the octopus and then grill it to get some char.

Leave a comment:

• Mudkat
    replied
    Sorry can't help but I am interested in hearing/seeing how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Better success than my feeble attempts, then...
    My screen kept cloggin', an' I gave up, after a time...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 22, 2017, 06:50 AM.

• kmhfive
    commented on 's reply
    Had to be dried first.

• kmhfive
    commented on 's reply
    Had to be dried first.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    how did you keep it lit?

• Steve B
    replied
    I smoked one a bunch of years ago. coughed my brains out. Oh sorry not that kind of smoking. 😳

Leave a comment:

• BourBonQ
    replied
    My initial thought is that octopus wouldn't be conducive to smoking... BUT, I've never tried smoking one, might be pleasantly surprised! Seasoned octopus tentacle grilled hot and fast after a quick citrus marinade is probably one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    That's that Jack Daniels time warp thinking.... better than those LSD think tanks the CIA had.

• scottranda
    commented on 's reply
    Deep thought. 😂

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here