Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Assistance with Swordfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Assistance with Swordfish

Just learned that I need to grill swordfish later today, however have never attempted this feat. I'll be using a Weber charcoal grill...what say you Pitmasters? Any help would be appreciated (albeit short notice!). Thanks in advance!

If you enter the word "swordfish" in the search box near the upper right corner of each page, you'll get several hits on discussions about your very question.

Comment

Thanks Mbmorgan!!

Comment

Just like a good ol' steak. Yum!

Comment

My mom used to marinate them with a soy sauce base and my dad would grill. My memories of them were like FireMan 's reply. He grilled like a steak. It was done in the middle much more than tuna.

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with this. Don't leave as rare as tuna.

I've mostly cooked these in a pan with butter, moderate heat, 15 minutes total - because you don't want to overcook. You could adapt that using a CI pan on the grill, or just keep a careful eye on the grill, maybe indirect. I did kebobs direct that way a couple weeks ago. Came out good, so it's not rocket science. You want the edges "gelatinous" and the inside rare-ish. For true swordfish bliss.

Comment

I like to smoke swordfish belly. I dry brine it overnight in the fridge, using a 50/50 mixture of brown sugar and kosher salt. The next day, I rinse off the dry brine, pat the belly dry using paper towels, and return it to the fridge to dry overnight. Come cooking time, I will place the belly on the smoker, at about 200-225 degrees, and smoke it until the flesh is flakey, for about two hours. I serve the smoked belly on crackers with cream cheese and chopped onions. Also, it's wonderful in tacos, salad, and scrambled eggs.

Comment

I have cooked them may ways. one way is with a garlic lemon butter on cedar or alder planks, surrounded by mashed potato's and shingled on huge scallops. I know the planking myth is busted, but it makes for an excellent presentation.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here