Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 salt salmon recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0 salt salmon recipe?

My parents are coming to visit in a couple of weeks and my dad loves salmon but can't have any salt at all. Since I have a smoker now, I thought it would be great to make some smoked salmon for him. Does anyone know of a great salmon recipe that doesn't have any salt in it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I smoke salmon relatively often. I think the salmon turns out just fine without salt. The smoke adds a lot of flavor. What I do is put a slab of salmon on, skin side down, and smoke it until inner temp is 135° F. I usually use apple wood, but most woods are fine. Most of the time I smoke it on the Weber kettle with an SnS, sometimes in my offset smoker, but the M.O. is always the same. You can get fancy with all kinds of toppings/rubs, but in my mind that isn't needed. The smoked salmon flavor in itself is delicious. 2 lbs of salmon usually takes < 1 hour to smoke.

try making a fun sauce and sides to go with that salmon instead, and smoke the fish 'plain'.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Info! Thx!

• Ddecker
      Ddecker commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic, thank you!

Honey mustard with dill makes a nice side sauce for smoked or grilled salmon. I also like ginger as a seasoning for salmon...

Comment

• Ddecker
      Ddecker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like this idea, much appreciated.

I use fresh rosemary and olive oil, sometimes a bit of pepper. The beauty of salmon is that it doesn't need much and there are so many ways to dress it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170212_175714.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	370750
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170212_190324.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	370749

Comment

• Ddecker
      Ddecker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some fine looking salmon. Thank you all for the help. I think this will go over very well!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here