Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carabineros shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carabineros shrimp

Picked up some pricey carabineros shrimp at central Market. Has anyone cooked these? Grill with head and shell on or peel?
    Attached Files

Wow, a Crawfish colored Prawn.

Jaime Foxx once got caught stealing Prawns.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod you freeking crack me up! I write as I speak. I think out loud. I wonder if you do the same. You are a regular Cliff Claven of The Pit.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey Yeah but I don't start off with, "Well Sammy....."

$39.99... are they out of their mind??? ๐Ÿ™€

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You see how small that bin is, supply and demand

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I did notice the inventory was minimal. Like they weren't anticipating a high demand. At that price they might have to just throw them away.๐Ÿ™„ Pricing strategies... Pigs get fat and Hogs get slaughtered. Don't be a hog.๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
    $39.99... are they out of their mind??? ๐Ÿ™€
    It's "shrimp fest" at Central Market in Austin, they have all sorts of exotic shrimp in the case for a limited time

Comment

No way Jose. That cost is ridiculous

Comment

But those things are beautiful! When we lived in Mass, we used to head up to NH in season and get Maine Shrimp. They're really small, but red like those Spanish ones. They were delicious (and cheap).

Comment

I'd probably process like whole lobster. Like they might do in Spain, cut in half and sear on a plancha. I'd do it on the flat side of GrillGrates or on a cast iron pan.

Comment

I'd buy those shrimp before a dry-aged ribeye

Comment

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              You've got an eye for deals!

We have a local spot in Newport Beach that sells Santa Barbara Spot Prawns when they are in. Amazing!! I was intimidated by them and didn't buy them. Great fish too!

Comment

Do not peel or take the heads off! You need those things whole to enjoy the the power of their taste. Enjoy!

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                So, suck the heads?

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                You're the Man! That is Truth!

Research suggests that this is a decent price for what it is. There's cooking advice here as well.

One of the most sought after prawns in professional kitchens worldwide, beautiful Carabineros are a large deep-sea prawn species that hail from Eastern Atlantic into the Mediterranean Sea. Order today!

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Gracias my friend.

So how did you prepare them? And how did they turn out?

My wife would kill me if I came home with $40 per pound shrimp.

As for inventory, notice they are frozen? They could have a ton of them in the freezer and just thaw out more when they sell out. (yeah, I know, probably not)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here