Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Swordfish Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Swordfish Steak

One of my local butcher's also carries fresh seafood. Last night I popped in to pick up some ribs for the weekend and he had a nice thick cut piece of swordfish in the case, so I decide to pick it up and experiment. I decided since it was a "steak" I would try the reverse sear method. I seasoned it with some KBS Sunny Island blend and a little salt. I cooked it on my Weber Performer @ 250 degrees for about 25 minutes with a chunk of cherry wood, I cooked it about 115 degrees IT then seared it to finish it off basting it with a lime butter. Over all I was pleased with the outcome, but next time I would use more briquettes as I need to use my BBQ Dragon to get the coals hot enough at the end of the cook. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170713_211115.jpg Views:	1 Size:	879.4 KB ID:	346965Click image for larger version  Name:	20170713_185917.jpg Views:	1 Size:	594.9 KB ID:	346968Click image for larger version  Name:	20170713_201950.jpg Views:	1 Size:	873.8 KB ID:	346967Click image for larger version  Name:	20170713_202118.jpg Views:	1 Size:	919.6 KB ID:	346966

Nice...👍 Your fish looks really good.

Personally I've started cooking my fish Sous Vide style just because it's so easy and perfect everytime. I put it in a skillet to put some color on it after I remove it from the vacuum packed bag. I used to cook my fish on grillgrates before I got a SV circulator and I can still use the flat side to sear my fish if I'm cooking outside.

Comment

:Looks great!

Comment

Looks great, and great ideas. I usually just put it in a pan in butter, so I can keep an eye on it. I probably will try the SV method sometime. Breadhead, what's your formula?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I dry brine my fish in equal amounts of sugar/salt then put it in a vacuum bag. I add some butter, lemon juice and a couple springs of dill, put it in the hot tub at 135/140°. I leave it in the hot tub for a couple of hours and then take it out of the bag to sear it. A hollandaise sauce is nice too.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Sounds great.

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
        Nice...👍 Your fish looks really good.

Personally I've started cooking my fish Sous Vide style just because it's so easy and perfect everytime. I put it in a skillet to put some color on it after I remove it from the vacuum packed bag. I used to cook my fish on grillgrates before I got a SV circulator and I can still use the flat side to sear my fish if I'm cooking outside.
        Interesting. I have been toying with the idea of Sous Vide cooking, but just haven't made the leap. I came close on Amazon Prime Day, but didn't pull the trigger. Part of it is that there are so many units with varying reviews from this is awesome, to this is a piece of junk. Then there is the wattage... how much is the right amount. I suspect I will get one sooner rather than later as I am intrigued by the process. Perhaps I'll do some research, pick one out and add it to my Christmas wish list.

Comment

efincoop Joule and Anova get pretty consistently positive reviews. I think the VacMaster one looks interesting too, though it's a bit pricier and bulkier. I have an older Polyscience from when they weren't cheap, and it's a workhorse. It's 1100 watts, comes up to temp while I'm doing final food prep, and I've done something like 4 5lb pork butts with it in a big lobster pot with no strain. So I'd expect that something that runs at 900w is probably more than adequate. Enjoy the research!

Comment

efincoop
            I've had the 800w Anova circulator with Bluetooth capability for 2 years. I used the Bluetooth feature once. They are a set it and forget it cooker!!! I bought a 4.75 gallon plastic tub without the top. I bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealer from Costco. You can buy all of that now for about $250. I've done Briskets, pork butts, steaks and fish. I enjoy poaching eggs in it to make Eggs Benedict for large groups of people. Yogurt and Creme Brûlée are both delightful and easy. It's handy for making sauces with, hollandaise and bernaise. Veggies are better than using any other way too. I've never had a problem with mine and the 800w was good enough for a 15 pound brisket.

Knowing what i know now... I wouldn't pay over $99 for a circulator and I have no need for Bluetooth or WiFi capability. Someone posted one yesterday they got for $70, I think that was HouseHomey. I'm thinking of buying a couple of those. Having at least 3 circulators would be great.
            Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes sir that was me and @FlaBoy coming in at the big 7-0. I have the magic bath water on now.. pics to follow later

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Wot he said!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey I'm fired up to see how that $70 circulator works for you. That company is blazing the trail to bring our prices down on SV circulators. Eventually these things are going to be under $50. They are less costly to build than a toaster.

Really cool to hear you did the reverse sear with a tuna steak. I usually cook mine to 100° F, and when I do I grill it using direct heat only. That way it ends up pink in the middle, which actually looks very nice on the plate. That being said, I really like your idea, will try it next time. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Looks amazing.

Comment

That looks like a great dinner!

Comment

Cooking fish sous vide is also a great way to guarantee safety without sacrificing quality too much.

If you can afford/score a great piece of sashimi-grade tuna or swordfish, you definitely don't want to cook it any more than the absolute minimum, so a quick sear (after maybe a quick salt/sugar dry brine) is all you need since you don't care about IT.

If, on the other hand, your fish is a bit past its prime and/or from a less than stellar source, you probably want it well done just to be on the safe side. Instead of just destroying it on a grill or in a pan, cooking it sous vide at 60 C / 140 F for an hour (two for really thick steaks) makes it safe without completely ruining it. Yes, it's going to be a bit drier and it'll flake a bit, but it'll still be ok and you don't need to worry about spending a night in the loo (or in the hospital).

Comment

Man... I haven't had a good swordfish steak in years. I don't see it in the store anymore. Now I really want one. Other than salmon, which is my favorite fish, swordfish steak is the best cooked fish I've ever had. Might be time to check out Central Market.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here