Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coconut Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coconut Shrimp

Let me share my favorite coconut shrimp recipe.
    You will need some bourbon, preferably drank from a mason jar

Get 20 large shrimps, butterfly them and wet brine (basic brine) for 30 minutes. This gives them that POP texture.
    While shrimps are brining go ahead and get 1 cup AP flour, to that add about a teaspoon of paprika (this brings out the shrimp in shrimps), some chipottle pepper and white pepper to taste. put that mess in a large bowl with a cover or a gallon size ziploc bag.

In another bowl, beat 2 eggs with about a tablespoon of coconut cream (better) or water. set that aside.

In a third bowl mix about a cup of panko bread crumbs and about a cup and a half of shredded coconut. Sweet or unsweetened works. I mix the two.

Here's how your work station will be set up. You'll start with flour mixture, then agg bowl, Panko bowl and lastly a cooling rack set on a baking sheet.

Dry your shrimp as much as possible and damp them in the flour mixture and shake em to coat.
    Shake off excess flour and dip in egg mixture then press em in the panko/ coconut mixture. You want to press so that the mess adheres to the shrimp. Move them to the cooling rack. From here you can leave them in the refrigerator until you're ready to cook.

Heat about an inch and a half of peanut oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven to 350 degrees and fry shrimp until golden brown. As soon as you take them out give them a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.

I serve them with a simple green salad and dipping sauce of orange marmalade, Thai sweet chili and lemon juice.

My apologies, I'm not good at writing or following recipes. But if you see something wacky please point it out.

Excellent! Thanks for this post

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
      Excellent! Thanks for this post
      You're welcome Huskee!

Comment

Ernest, that is an excellent recipe and the pics are great. Being a Fried Shrimp aficionado I truly appreciate your recipe and technique.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Much appreciated Marauderer!

Ernest ,
        Greetings,

I am new around here but just found your recipe for the coconut shrimp. These look great! Great pix, always helps and motivates! It is my wife's favorite food so I want to make it for her this weekend. I am however having a hard time identifying a "basic brine" recipe applicable to shrimp (lots of info, some conflicting about brines as I am sure you know). Could you please share your brine recipe for the shrimp?

Thanks

Comment

Bless yer heart!! I LOVE coconut shrimp and your recipe looks killer.

Comment

Ozzie basic brine is quarter cup of kosher salt to a quart of water. That's all. Nothing fancy in it.
            comes to something like one part kosher salt to 16 parts water.

Comment

• Ozzie
              Ozzie commented
              Editing a comment
              👍 Thanx!

They look really good to me.

Comment

I wish I could like coconut shrimp since I LOVE both shrimp and coconut but I've found that combo not to my liking for some reason.

Maybe I'll just eat your pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here