Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked shrimp on an offset - need suggestions for improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked shrimp on an offset - need suggestions for improvement

Hi folks,

I cooked a brisket yesterday. Once that one was in the faux cambro I dumped a bag of frozen shrimp in my offset. I use oak wood only. It was running at 225° F.

I've done smoked shrimp many many times, always on a kettle or a BGE. Same temp, 3-4 chunks of wood, for 18-20 minutes. The shrimp come out golden with great smoke flavor.

This time they barely had color after 20 minutes, so I smoked them for 35 minutes. They were warm, but didn't have the nice golden red color and they didn't have much smoke flavor.

So, what can I do to improve, when smoking shrimp in my offset? Add a type of wood that produces stronger smoke? Turn up the heat?

Any suggestions are welcome. I thought I had this down to a T, but apparently not

I've haven't cooked shrimp on my offset yet so I really can't give any sound advice. But you might want to kick up the temps to 275-300* and maybe use some cherry wood.
    Funny that no matter how much we think we might know there's always something more to learn. I think that's one reason why we love doing this thing called BBQ.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      So true, there's always more to learn. I really dig that too, even though it is frustrating at times :-)

Do you always use frozen shrimp? It sounds like they just were not cooked enough or with enough heat. I have not done them on an offset in at least 7 years I think. I use my kettles so I'm not really sure. Seems odd though I agree, especially since it's a "go to " for you.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I'm gonna try to crank up the heat to see what happens.

I typically thaw the frozen shrimp in a salt/sugar brine for about an hour. IMHO, the brining helps the shrimp not taste like cooked-from-frozen. Afterwards, I pat dry, skewer and then brush the shrimp with a fresh herb/olive oil mixture before putting on the smoker or grill. I think the oil helps with the smoke adhering.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice T-bone!

Ya might want to put them as close to the exhaust as you can.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I will give that a try. I'l also see if cranking up the heat makes a difference.

I do the salt sugar brine with a bit of baking soda. Works good. Not an offset deal, but helps with browning.

Comment

I always freeze my shrimp with the peel on. I typically buy them when I can get them fresh off the boat and buy 20-50 lbs. and dehead them. I freeze my shrimp in water (quart bags with the shrimp tails, and then add water and seal). I then defrost by running water on them in a collander until they are defrosted. We peel them if we will be using them on a grill or in a regular recipe. We boil them with the peel on.

I feel they taste fresher this way.

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
        Brisket Syndicate commented
        Editing a comment
        We freeze our fish in bags of water as well.

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        We do that as well

Wow bten you freeze them in a quart of water? Does it damage the shrimp? Very interesting. Do you season the water?
      Ive never heard of that. What do you do with the heads and tails? If you buy them from a boat I bet they are delicious. Very interesting.

Comment

• bten
        bten commented
        Editing a comment
        The water prevents freezer burn, and they last longer. I freeze the heads and throw them away on trash day!

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooo... you should make stock with them heads, peels and tails before you throw them out.

I also do this with my rib bones - even if I'm just making ramen, I'll throw 2-3 bones in the water for a couple minutes before I cook the noodles.

Henrik I don't like the frozen part. Thaw them out and set a new baseline...

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Normally I would happily follow your advice. But in this case I am determined to figure out what the difference is between my offset and kettle, all other things unchanged :-)

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Experiment away. Cheers Brother!!

I always cover them in quality olive oil prior, followed by seasoning. Helps the color and tastes great.

Comment

I have the answer. Can I get royalties on the next book? Hehehehe. Just kidding. : )
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 19, 2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good one ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here