Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceviche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceviche

I know it's not BBQ, but it is great on a hot summer afternoon. You will need

1 pounds snapper, halibut, or similar dense, mild white fish - should be as fresh as possible
    8-10 limes - squeeze them for 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    small white onion
    2 tomatoes
    2-3 serrano peppers
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    1/3 cup chopped green olives (manzanillo preferably)
    2 TBSP olive oil
    3 TBSP orange juice
    1 medium ripe avocado
    Tortilla chips

Do this

Cut fish into 1/2" cubes, rough chop onion, combine in non-reactive dish with lime juice. Cover and refrigerate while the fish "cooks". It should be free floating in the lime juice. The fish is "done" when you break a chunk open and it doesn't look raw inside .... about four hours. When the fish is done, drain it in a colander.

chop the tomatoes into 1/2" chunks. Stem, seed, and finely chop the peppers. In your ultimate serving bowl, combine the orange juice, tomatoes, cilantro, olives and peppers, add olive oil until nicely coated. stir in fish and onions, season to taste with salt. Now keep in the fridge until ready to serve.

Just before serving, pit and dice the avocado, gently stir into the ceviche, and serve. I like to serve with tortilla chips.

Here's a few shots of prepping the fish and cooking it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1507.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.81 MB ID:	324492Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1509.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.83 MB ID:	324493Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1510.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.31 MB ID:	324491Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1512.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.36 MB ID:	324494
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1513.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.62 MB ID:	324495
    Last edited by ecowper; May 27, 2017, 02:45 PM.

I absolutely LOVE ceviche! Thanks for the recipe. I will also chop some fresh shrimp in mine. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get fresh fish in N. Illinois. Enjoy!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Next best thing to fresh fish is wild caught, frozen. I buy my salmon that way in the winter time :-)

Ooh yeah, ceviche!

Comment

And the finished product! Eating it with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1514.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.48 MB ID:	324617
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1515.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	324618
      Last edited by ecowper; May 27, 2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

This looks FANTASTIC! Funny, I have never even had Ceviche until just a few weeks ago. In my LIFE! Never been one to try new things really until my older years I guess. I LOVE cheese now. Who knew? But took the Moonunit down to a fancy place in Galveston and they had some made up in a buffet. Reluctantly I took a tiny spoon full. Dang it was sooooo good. I have no idea what fish they used but I am totally open to trying this recipe for sure!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If you can find a Peruvian restaurant, check out the varieties they have!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF there's a really good Peruvian restaurant in Portland. I try to go there overtime I'm down that way.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          There's one we go to regularly with a Peruvian colleague in NYC. They even serve pork belly sliders!

Love some good ceviche!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here