Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for ultra-low/no sugar salmon brine or rub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for ultra-low/no sugar salmon brine or rub.

Due to some health issues, I have been eating a diet that has me at 25 grams of carbohydrates a day or less. That severely limits the amounts of sugars and products containing sugars that I can use in preparing my food. I know smoked salmon generally is brown-sugar heavy. Anyone have any suggestions on an alternative rub or brine?

Just regular salt brine does it for me.
    1 Part kosher salt to parts water. Brine for an hour.
    Are you on a ketogenic diet?

Comment

If you are looking to grill the salmon, I highly recommend rubbing it with olive oil, then sprinkling with kosher salt. Ernest nails it if you are going to brine prior to smoking. For quality salmon, no need to brine before grilling. Just the olive oil and kosher salt 10-15 minutes before going on the grill.

Comment

Salt and Pepper. Grill @400 or so for about 10 minutes. Be very careful not to overcook. It will be good.

Comment

I always smoke my salmon with just salt on it, nothing else.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            That's cause Seattle and Stockholm are both Swedish ;-)

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, we know our fish ;-)

I just use salt, olive oil and dill to smoke salmon. Comes out great.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            My usual too!

Though many brines contain an amount of sugar, I doubt if much of it stays with the finished product so a portion of smoked fish won't have all that much sugar in it. That said, you could also just use a cup of salt to a gallon of water and soak your salmon for 12 hours or so with that before smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            Just regular salt brine does it for me.
            1 Part kosher salt to parts water. Brine for an hour.
            Are you on a ketogenic diet?
            Yes. It's done wonders for me. Off all meds.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm 15 moths into it. Never going back

• PappyFatcap
              PappyFatcap commented
              Editing a comment
              Ernest , How do you generally deal with sugars in rubs, sauces etc?

PappyFatcap I've never been a BBQ sauce guy so that part was easy. kicked it out all together, don't miss it. when I feel like BBQ sauce, I rub my Que with anchovy butter.
            Rubs, that too, I prefer to let the food shine. I have done a few rubs but always preferred salt, pepper and herbs.
            It's really easy when one knows the way around the kitchen.
            other than that, rice was the hardest to let go. Now I can cook it and not even crave it. I still cook carbs for the rest of the gang, I'm hoping they'll see the light one day.
            When we go out, I bring my own butter

Comment

Check my recepie.. PappyFatcap

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here