Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing Trout for Later Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing Trout for Later Smoking

So, I'm going to smoke up some trout this week, but I want to do a bunch (6 or 8) all at once. Unfortunately, the river I fish as a 2 fish limit, so its going to take a few days to have enough to fire up the smoker.

When I've smoked my trout before, I did it the day after catching them, so they were fresh from river to brine to smoker and were really yummy. My question is, if I need to collect them over a few days, what's the best way to keep them freshest for smoking?

Should I just refrigerate them and then brine them all together or brine them fresh and them refrigerate the fish after brining/rinsing? Just looking for the freshest results.

Thank you.
    Steve

You might try putting in the fridge on a tray of crushed ice, then flip them once or twice a day. Sheer speculation on my part. Vacuum bagged.

Comment

If it is just going to be for a few days or so, you will be fine with having crushed ice both under and on top of the fish in the refrigerator. Coming from my days in the fish business.

Comment

Once smoked, you'll never be able to tell which is "fresh" and which is a couple days old. Maybe pan sauteed, but not smoked. Keep them iced as recommended above and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here