Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

karon's first Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

karon's first Salmon

I'm a landlubber. For all my parents, husband, uncles on both sides, brother in law and heaven knows who else were all Navy, we are all, in reality, landlubbers. Mom's family from ChattaVegas, Dad's Texas. The Y Chromosome was born in Maryland but of Kentucky Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 23 001 salmon dinner.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	279966Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 23 002 salmon dinner.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	279967Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 02 23 00 salmon dinner.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	279968 stock and came to Georgia young.

when one lives this far inland, one learns that fish is evil. mostly because it has had to travel too far to reach you. of course, that is no longer the case but one eats what one was raised eating. Fish is bread, fried to within an inch of its life or in a can with the earlier discussed emulsified salad dressing and relish on white bread.

But, you all know me.

So, I've been asking the Y chromosome to bring me some salmon to try. He finally brought some home so I decided to go as simple as possible. I don't really want to play with something until I have gotten to know it a little. at least an introduction.

I went with a simple olive oil, Lemon, salt & dill sous vide and a quick sear with steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

I have a few observations. first, he bought too much. so we ended up having enough for at least three servings and I cooked them all. I'm glad I did cause as I was plating the second piece, it all slipped from my hands, crashing to the floor, shattering the plate and splattering the fish. <sigh> Crate the dogs and sear the third piece. glad I cooked it all. the neighborhood mice will be safe tonight as the kitties are eating the fish.

It wasn't bad. wasn't much to write home about, for me. but, the Y Chromosome actually just said, and I quote, "That was really good. Thank You." He is obviously impressed. so, the simple Salmon Filet went over well for him. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I suppose some variety and some sauces will make it better for me in the future. but, certainly a fish I can eat without mangling to the point that you never knew it lived in water.

So, there is Karon's first ever Salmon adventure.

WAIT! What's that hiding to the side of the picture? step over to desserts.......

Comment

I love Salmon. Here's a place where you get fresh Salmon from Alaska shortly after they're caught. You have to sign up for a 3 to 7 month program but the fish is way above store bought.

Comment

Looks really good. I can't believe you've never done salmon before. The SV choice was a good one. But you want to warm smoke some. Trust me.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          oh yes. that's next

Fantastic Job, Karon!
        >Ain't never et none unsmoked.

Link to the Dessert, above ^^^^

Do It. Do It Now!!!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 23, 2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Karon, a LOT depends on the type of salmon. Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT used farmed Atlantic salmon. You will be doomed from the start. On the grill with a little alder Smoke is unbelievable!! Wild king salmon or sockeye salmon are totally awesome! Some dill is a great addition.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, there is some decent farmed Atlantic you can get from Scotland, and I think, Denmark. But yeah, Pacific is to be preferred.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF, I am thinking of salmon from the US. Most farm raised salmon in US grocery stores will be the stuff that you don't want to eat.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            We agree there, Thunder77 !

The US catches the best salmon in the world and exports it. Americans end up eating farmed raised.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pacific yes. Atlantic, not so much

• Michael Brinton
            Michael Brinton commented
            Editing a comment
            Being endangered hurts...

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it does.

You can't compare the farmed garbage with fresh wild salmon, I now refuse to buy farmed, only fresh wild in season, June - August.

Comment

After my trip to AK, last summer. I know I will never have Salmon like that until I go back up in two summers. Wild Salmon from the river is the most insane fish I have ever had. It really is incredible. There is nothing like Wild Caught Salmon.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              There It Is, True Dat!!!
              Salmon run ' 88. NAS Adak, AK. Lotsa stories 'bout that...
              Everythin' else places distant 2nd, at best.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Although steelhead is not too awfully bad.

hmmmmm, I have a friend in Alaska. maybe I can get her to buy me some and ship it.

Comment

You should. And smoke it. It will be 10 times better than Sous vide. Nothing wrong with SV, but salmon + smoke = true. AND, it's quick and easy.

Comment

I had never sous vide salmon until last weekend. IMHO, this is the best way to cook salmon. I followed Chef Steps joule app recommendation (even though I don't have a joule, I use the app a lot). Melt in your mouth salmon.

Comment

Karon,
                  check out Soul Mate Salmon. They are out of Kodiak Island. Great people. They will ship you frozen fillets of salmon. I buy from them. They are wonderful people. Hard working and they put out a great product.
                  Two Alaskan fishermen looking to provide you with the highest quality wild Alaskan salmon, fresh frozen and smoked. We attend farmers markets in Mpls and St. Paul, as well as shipping our salmon direct across the nation.

Comment

Sous Vide salmon seared on grill, with grillgrates... the hollandaise sauce gives it a flavor boost...👍 Sides... fettuccine Alfredo and asparagus.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oooooohh!!! Yum!

I had an Uncle who lived in Seattle and worked in the Tool and Die Dept. for Boeing Aircraft. He was exempt from Military Service During WW-2! During the War he and some Business Partners used their Spare Time to build and Install a Ski Lift on Stevens Pass in Washington! Basically they started the Ski Industry in the Pacific NW! This allowed Mel to take some Unbelieveable Fishing Trips! Occasionally he Come back to ND and bring some Fresh Caught Salmon, He would lay it out Skin Side Down, on a open Grill, on aluminum foil, Slathered with Mayo, and Salt and Pepper! When
                  You could flake the Salmon with a Fork it was time to eat! Only Salmon I'd ever had came from a Can! Mel would sooner Hunt and Fish than Live The Day He Passed he Stopped by His Youngest Son's and told Ron the Only Two Things You Need in this Lifetime is an Old Truck and a Good Dog!
                  With that He took His Boat out on Peugeot Sound Fishing, Caught a Few, Went Home, Cleaned His Fish and Cooked them for Supper for his Wife and He! They finished Dinner, Cleaned things Up and Mel told Doris He wasn't Feeling To Good! She Took Him to the Emergancy Room, He was gone about a Hour Later! An aneurism on His Aorta had Ruptured! I Personally believe He Planned it all! A Perfect Day!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here