Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Marlin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Marlin?

Hello everyone! A friend of mine went fishing this past weekend and sadly a very big blue marlin died on the fishing line while he was reeling it in. The only upside is he now has a lot of blue marlin meat that we have to go through. I've heard about smoking marlin before but have never tried it. Has anyone here? I'm guessing I should brine it for a couple of hours, but I'm not really sure to what temp I should take the fish or how long this would take. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Never done it but if I had some marlin to try, I would start with the same brine I use for salmon. One cup regular salt & 2 cups brown sugar in a gallon of water. Brine marlin steaks (2" +/-) overnight, rinse and hot smoke to 150 or so. I usually top salmon with some brown sugar or maple syrup glaze towards the endbut not sure how that would play with marlin? Could add or adjust other spices as you wish (see Huskee's Smoked Salmon thread). Have fun!

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking somewhere along these lines, thanks!

I've used these guys' way several times on fish, and the results are amazingly good. A bit time and labor intensive though. https://docs.google.com/viewer?docex...%20Process.pdf

I don't rinse the fish following the brining.
    Last edited by EdF; January 24, 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks EdF - I'm keeping this one and sending it off to my son. Much appreciated.

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks great, thank you!

When I cooked it, I cooked it like a swordfish steak. Unbelievable

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually tried to make a marlin steak and did not like the texture! Perhaps I overcooked it.

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I cooked it med, med-rare

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know about marlin, but I definitely like swordfish medium-rare - just "gelatinous" around the edges, and still juicy. Oh man, where's the fish store?

I have enjoyed smoked marlin many times. Any salmon recipe will work fine, and there is no bones to worry about.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here