Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Dungeness crab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Dungeness crab

I live in Northern California, and this time of year we are blessed to have an abundance of Dungeness crab. I'm thinking of bringing some to my family's house for Thanksgiving. Normally I make it on the stove (or oven), but this year I'd like to smoke it. To that end, I'm looking for some interesting recipes; something other than the standard butter, lemon juice and garlic.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to do it, but ginger and scallions should be involved. Maybe some soy sauce...

Comment

Here's the kind of thing I'm thinking of...I got this dish a lot when I travelled to the Bay area.

Comment

• SMO
        SMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Just ran across this post while cruising the pit. Looks fantastic!!!

Hmm, that sounds like a challenge! The trick with both crab and lobster is their thick shell. It is hard to get the smoke in. If you can, take the meat out, smoke it separately and then place it back into the shell. That could work very well presentation wise. Crab is relatively lean (compared to red meat), so you don't need to smoke it very hard.

I would smoke it separately and then pile the meat together with some (small chopped) fresh greens into the shell. You need to add some fat to the mix, either by adding it to the crab meat mix, or by serving some kind of dip sauce (or two) on the side.

look forward to hearing what you make of it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here