Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Country Broil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Country Broil

2016 brought one of the best St. Johns River recreational shrimping seasons in recent memory. With gallons of shrimp in the freezer I have been experimenting with many recipes. This one — I call it a Low Country Broil — is a faster, easier, and less messy version of a traditional Low Country Boil that works well for 2-6 persons. Notice the "r" in the name — the ingredients are not boiled in a pot, but broiled in foil packets.
    Start with an oiled piece of heavy duty aluminum foil about 1 foot square, fill it with food, and fold over the edges, sealing it up for cooking. Each foil packet serves one person and contains 6-12 shrimp (depending on size), 1/4 lb link sausage (kielbasa, anadouille, or any large, locally favorite link sausage) cut into "coins," 1 ear of corn (shucked and optionally halved), and 3 small red potatoes, halved. If fresh corn is not available, frozen corn on the cob will work, but the texture of the kernels is a bit mushy. The sausage is placed in the bottom of the oiled foil packet followed by the corn, red potatoes, and shrimp. The potatoes must be partly precooked for 4+ minutes in a microwave to give them a head start. A large pat of butter is placed on the corn, and everything is sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Old Bay.
    I preheat my gas grill on "high" while setting up the packets and then cook the sealed foil packets directly over the flames for 10 minutes, still on high. I usually grill with charcoal due to the better smoke flavor it imparts on foods, but in this case no smoky taste would be added to the flavor, because the foil packets are sealed up tight.
    My gas grill is a small Weber 2000, so it does not get as hot as a larger gasser — anyone using a more powerful grill may need to dial back the heat a little bit. At the end of 10 minutes, I place the now sizzling packets onto paper plates, and we open them up and dig in — YUM!
    The corn, potatoes and sausage make a great base for variations on this recipe. You can add whatever other meats you like, play around with different seasonings, and/or add a bit of wine to the packet (I usually do). I had great luck replacing the shrimp with a salmon fillet seasoned liberally with Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Salmon Seasoning. However, with a freezer full of bay scallops on hand in addition to the shrimp, I think I’ll try a shrimp and scallop combo next time.
    Last edited by Courtneych; November 7, 2016, 07:22 PM.

That sounds pretty good. Some pics of this process would help greatly.
    Minus the sausage (which I love) my wife might like this.

Comment

Here is a photo of the salmon variant -- I did not have a picture of the shrimp version. Click image for larger version  Name:	Salmon Broil.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	237827

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not a salmon person but with shrimp and such that looks pretty darn good.

• Northside Brian
        Northside Brian commented
        Editing a comment
        I, as well as my wife, would devour that. We love doing low country boils for friends (usually around 25 people) but this is a great way for when it is just us. Thanks for the idea.

Sounds great, and gets the wheels turning... thanks for sharing!

Comment

Courtneych, I envy Your Freezers Full of Seafood! Your Low Country Broil Recipe is nearly a Carbon Copy of My Low Country Boil Recipe! I have to ask how do you put a Bottle of Beer in Your Foil Packets! Fresh Seafood is Kinda Scarce in Fargo ND! Fortunately for Me Fabian Seafood, Galveton Tx, via the Big Bird flies fresh Shrimp, Oysters and Crab Meat into MPLS-ST PAUL and John Murphy Trucks it To Us! Not Cheap but Excellant! [email protected]
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	754.4 KB ID:	237952Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	746.3 KB ID:	237954Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	652.5 KB ID:	237953

Comment

Danjohnston949, I am fortunate to live where it is possible to catch almost all our local varieties seafood as a recreational fisherman -- a wide variety of inshore and offshore fish, oysters, clams, bay scallops, white shrimp, blue crabs, stone crabs, & spiny lobsters. In many cases it would be cheaper to buy them at a fish market once you factor in the cost of boats, fuel, gear, etc. However, half the fun is in catching them yourself, and they are sooo fresh!
          As for putting beer in my cook pot, I'm much too cultured for that -- I use wine ;-)

A 5-gallon boat limit of White Shrimp (these were early season smalls) and 2 gallons of whole bay scallops (the limit for 1 person):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shrimp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	205.9 KB ID:	238005
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Courtneych; November 8, 2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here