Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmon Jerky

Hi guys, I am thinking of trying to dehydrate some cold smoked salmon that I buy from a comercial smoking place. I would use the same method as described on the website here for beef jerky but without the marinade. Bring the salmon up to 140 and then lower temp to dry it out. I was going to use my oven.

My goal is to have a salmon jerky that I could keep in the fridge but can take to work unrefridgerated for 8 hours max.

any thoughts / experience /. opinions would be much appreciated.

thanks

I haven't made fish jerky but your question inspired me to do a little digging. Turns out that only low-fat fish species should be used for making jerky. High-fat species (like salmon) tend to go rancid pretty quickly. I suggest you google "fish jerky" and check out the hits you'll get.

Comment

What would we do without Google

Comment

yeah I too read that, but some have done it and was thinking as long as it's in the fridge for storage it would be fine for a few weeks.

Comment

From a food safety standpoint though the fish was cured then cold smoked then I would "cook" it to 140 and dry it in oven at 150f. Is this more risky for botulism then the beef jerky in any way?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here