Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Baja-Style Fish Tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Baja-Style Fish Tacos

I did my grilled baja-style fish tacos again the other night and worked out the recipe. They're not much to look at, particularly when they got a tad blackened from the bottom of my gas grill flaming up (I think I've got some burner tube leaks, which is why it's going to junk over the winter), but there's pics anyway. I've measured this for approximately 3 lbs of fish because that's about the size that the Costco Tilapia filets come in

MARINADE (for 3 lbs fish)
    1 ¼ c of evoo
    2 tbsp salt
    2 tbsp ancho chili powder
    1 tbsp & 1 tsp (4 tsp) cumin
    4 cloves of garlic (pressed)
    ¾ c chopped cilantro
    Zest and juice of 2 limes

Everything gets mixed together and the fish marinades for at least 1/2 hour, but you can probably go up to 2 hours without it getting too mushy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	21741

Doesn't take long over direct heat

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	21742

I also do a cole slaw-ish like sauce, which is more liquidy than cole slaw. It was a bit too salty this time, so I'm leaving the salt out of the recipe and you can just add salt to taste.

COOLING SLAW SAUCE (serves 6-8)
    4 c shredded cabbage
    ¾ c mayo
    ¾ c sour cream or mexican crema
    ¼ c minced fresh cilantro
    zest of 1 lime
    juice of 2 limes

This is probably more than you'll need, but I haven't worked on cutting down the recipe yet. Serve on your choice of tortillas. In California, they tend to use corn, but I prefer flour in general.

I'm making these again on Thursday, by request, so maybe I'll update this afterwards.

When I did these last night, I did the slaw with 2 tsp of salt and it worked well. I also made it a couple of hours ahead and it married together well.

On the fish, I've never marinated for more than 45 minutes yet.

They were much better on the kettle than on the gasser.

Comment

Looks real good! I love fish tacos! For me and fish tacos, flare-ups are my friends. The blackening enhances the taco flavor, overall in my opinion.

Comment

Looks good. Black is good in grilling.

I like flour, the wife like corn. The corn is growing on me. Non-foot kind.

Comment

Hmmm... I have access to the best fish taco's known to mankind at fast food prices. No way I could fire up the BGE to make fish taco's as cheap as I can get the best of the best. Rubio's, formerly known as Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill, is a fast casual "Fresh Mex" or "New Mex"[1] restaurant chain specializing in Mexican food, with an emphasis on fish tacos. As of 2007, Rubio's operates, licenses or franchises more than 190 restaurants in California, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. Rubio's was voted "Best of the Best (Cheap Eats)" in the June 2008 issue of San Diego Magazine. Its headquarters are in Carlsbad.[2] According to founder Ralph Rubio, he and some friends from San Diego State University were on spring break in San Felipe when he first encountered fish tacos at a local stand, and was inspired to open a restaurant serving them in his hometown, San Diego, California.[3] Since then, the popularity of fish tacos has spread throughout California, although they remain uncommon elsewhere. Rubio's standard fish tacos are made from Alaskan pollock, which is battered, fried, and served in a corn tortilla, although optionally offered with a flour tortilla. Grilled mahi-mahi is also available at all locations.

Comment

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            Breadhead- you're saying Rubio's makes the best fish tacos known to mankind? We need to expand your horizons buddy! Lots of other great fish taco joints in SoCal!

Rubio's is good, but I prefer mine - non-battered, non-fried, with a different slaw, grilled over charcoal with a touch of wood smoke

Comment

Looks awesome Burn. I REALLY need to do them but when I'm in the store all I think is 'check beef prices, check beef prices, check rib prices, check rib prices..." and fish never gets the attention it deserves. And I'm too lazy to ice fish any more.

Comment

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you on that one. While I love to fish, sometimes it's just not convenient , even for me. There is a ton of excellent fishing within 15 minutes of where I live, but I don't always have the time or motivation to dig out the auger, etc. In summer, I keep the car/truck loaded with a couple fly rods, etc. in case I see rising fish on my way home from work(I have to pass by several lakes on my 12 mile commute). But in winter? No way. Besides, I get tired of trout pretty fast, even smoked.

Yeah Huskee, pork really is the most economical, but I need variety. I usually buy tilapia at Costco in approx. 3-lb packages, where it's currently $5.99/lb.

Comment

Have made theses several times, including tonight. The wife's favorite way to eat fish. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I find that swordfish and tuna make better tacos. I usually just shake some old bay seasoning on them and top them with coleslaw on a flour tortilla. Delicious

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Old Bay rocks!!

I find that swordfish and tuna make better tacos. I usually just shake some old bay seasoning on them and top them with coleslaw on a flour tortilla. Delicious

Comment

I go with pollock myself. I cannot stand tilapia! BLECH!! Mahi Mahi is also good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here