Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Steelhead Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Steelhead Trout

Hey friends, Here are some pics from tonight's smoked trout cook! I used Meathead's smoked salmon recipe/process, but without the brown sugar. The cook was done on my electric smoker, which I only use nowadays for fish and poultry.

~1lb 3oz filet, cut into 4 pieces. Brined for ~45 minutes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2026.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	215888

Here they are after the brine, with garlic and coarse ground black pepper added. I put them on white butcher paper as per Meathead's process:

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	215889

I cooked them with 1 dose of alder chips at 225 for 25 minutes. They were around 140 internal temp. Here they are ready to come off the smoker!

Name:	IMG_2028.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	215890

And here is the finished product, with some sides:

Name:	IMG_2032.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	215891

I brined for 45 minutes, and I think I should have just done 30. But other than that, it came out fabulous, with mild smoke, tender and juicy. I'll do this again!

Looks wonderful! I love steelhead, and alder smoke is exactly what I use for it, and for salmon too.

Comment

Looks great! I'll have to try this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here