Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Smoked Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished up about 2.5 pounds this afternoon. I had trouble keeping the kettle/SnS combo down to 200, but I managed it by snuffing part of the fire. I used a foil packet of alder wood for the smoke. I agree with Huskee, wait for a while to eat it. Don't eat it right out of the smoker. It was tasty, but I feel like the flavors need some time to develop. Can't wait to try it tomorrow after it chills overnight!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      How was it chilled the next day?

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I still haven't tried it yet. I was saving it for Christmas. Maybe I should sample it though. Just to see if it's ok.

• Atalanta
      Atalanta commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you must try it, have to make sure its as good as it looks!

Huskee and others, question: Is the brown sugar supposed to be mixed with the initial brine, or is the brine everything minus the brown sugar?

Also, do you figure it would work to ziplock bag it after smoking, and dump the ziplock bags in ice water to speed the chilling process?

Thanks!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Add it to the brine. I also sprinkle another layer on the salmon during the smoke. Most of my tasters like the extra sweetness in hot smoked salmon.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      The 2 C of brown sugar is in the brine. But I also sprinkle a good layer on top as well, right when putting in the smoker. Wouldn't' be an issue if you didn't use it in the brine though. As we've later learned, it's mostly the salt that penetrates from brines so adding the sugar to the top only would be fine too. Yes on the Ziplocs!

• dustbuster
      dustbuster commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect, thanks all!!

Going to try it this weekend. Would it be worth it or not to put the meat in the brine and then vac seal the bag?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you enjoy it. Not sure on the vac seal, never experimented with it. I just mix the brine in a large SS bowl and put the fillets in that. I *think* the more brine in contact with the fish the better.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure vac-sealing would gain enough (if anything) to be worth the trouble... I brine in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Thankfully, I have a spare fridge that allows room for the bucket if necessary.

• SlushDeezey
      SlushDeezey commented
      Editing a comment
      Decided to go a different way here. I skinned it because there were scales still on part of it (10.00 a pound and they can’t scale it?) and the cut it into 3”-4” chunks. Heavily dusted with kosher salt, lemon pepper,cracked black pepper, and a just a sprinkle of Slap Ya Mama’s. Vac sealed cause I wanted to play.

That is a great way to cook salmon Huskee
    I've hotsmoked salmon aswell.

Comment

Resurrecting the thread - tried this recipe last night, and HOLY CRAP it was good! Awesome recipe, Huskee...thanks for sharing it!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, thank you! I have 2 large fillets in the freezer and my wife just coincidentally told me that's this week's project. Glad you liked it!

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        I had forgotten about this thread. Thank you for bumping it up!

I made some minor tweaks to the above recipe (mostly brine time) also added a couple pics

Comment

Look so nice I post thanks twice.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; September 17, 2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Huskee, them smoked Salmon Look Amazing.
          Fish as been my "Waterloo".
          Thanks for post with pics

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here