Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep fried, smoked, low and slow freshwater fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep fried, smoked, low and slow freshwater fish?

Okay, one of my favorite foods is deep fried freshwater fish like walleye or perch. It's a pretty simple process of battering and breading them then putting them in a counter top deep fryer, they always come out great.

Now I'm wondering if I could replicate it on a grill with the SnS so the fillets will soak up some wood smoke. I'm thinking that I'd put a deep pan of oil over the coals and wood for the frying part of it. The fillets would go on the cool side but should I batter and bread them first or wait to do so until they're ready to hit the oil? My assumption is that if I put them on the grill "naked" they'll absorb a lot of the smoke but I don't know it I could then batter and bread them, they might be too flaky and fall apart. But if I coat them first before putting them on the grills cool side I'm thinking that they'll absorb little to no smoke at all.

​​​Maybe I should just add a bit of liquid smoke to the batter and keep frying them inside. Any ideas or suggestions?

Even though it seems a bit like "cheating", adding liquid smoke to the batter would be the easiest and surest way to go.

Comment

I don't think fish would require a lot of smoke. The cured pork loin that I rolled in cornmeal picked up plenty smoke. And I was running 330 to 350 on that dude.

Comment

My thought would be to lightly smoke then batter and fry. I'd guess the fish would pick up nice smoke flavour by the time it's half cooked or so, you could then batter and fry to finish.

Comment

Natural thought, though it's discouraged for food safety reasons in these parts, would be a cold smoke on the fish, so as not to mess the texture for the fry cooking.

A concern about heating the oil on the SNS sear side might be getting it too hot. You don't need a ton of precision with fry temps, but you do want to cook the fish or not over cook the fish while crisping the batter.

A different idea might be a dilute liquid smoke brineade for the fish before battering and frying.

Comment

I like the idea of quick cold smoke(maybe like 200° or slightly less?) and then batter and fry. That would be safe since you are fully cooking right after the smoke or no?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here