Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of fish should I smoke this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of fish should I smoke this weekend?

Hi all,

I'm going to check out a (relatively) new fishmonger this weekend. What should I get for my first foray into smoked fish?

The place I'm going has an online listing of products, and I can call to make sure they have something for me to pick up. What would you make from this list?

Thanks -- I'll post photos after the cook.

Swordfish

Comment

Nice selection! I'd be tempted to start with a whole arctic char and cook it under a salt dome. I've not tried salt-dome cooking in a smoker (yet ... it's on the list), but I'm thinking that the fish would pick up some nice smoke flavor through the salt.

Comment

• EPH
        EPH commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great idea -- I need to try that technique.

I love Spanish Mackrel if it is really, truly fresh, and it takes very well to wood flavors.

Comment

If you like salmon I recommend it highly for smoking. Use alder wood if you have it . . . and always go with fresh Alaskan salmon (never, ever farmed salmon from anywhere). Cooper River is to die for.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Copper, not "cooper."

• bchbum12
          bchbum12 commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct, Strat50 . . . that's spell check for you.

I'll be the odd man out and say that farm raised salmon is still quite delicious. My local grocery store sells larger Norwegian farm raised salmon and they are fantastic, thick, tender, moist. And since it's far cheaper for me to buy them than catch them, I have quite a bit of experience with it. Anyway, I wet brine my salmon fillets in a salt/sugar/garlic/onion brine for a few hours or overnight, pat them dry, and put a crumbled top coat of brown sugar on them just like I do to my ribs. I've had screaming good results with apple wood, never used alder although I've read for years it's quite popular with smoked salmon.

If you're interested in my recipe I'd be happy to share, but I wont bore you with it if it's not your thing.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Norwegian, yes. Farmed Atlantic, no way!

• Bob's BBQ
          Bob's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a combination of alder and apple wood. Very good. The wet brine is always a good idea.

@Salmon. I use Meathead's Schmancy Hot Smoked Salmon recipe. Very similar to Huskee above. I also find farm raised salmon acceptable. I think it all depends on how you cook it and how much you are putting on it. Cooks in about 45-55 min at 225. I always use Cherry wood for Salmon.

Huskee. I would appreciate it if you would post the details of your Salmon recipe. I enjoyed your ribs version and would like to give the salmon a try.

Comment

The one at the end of your hook!!

Comment

My favorite fish... Blackened Redfish or salmon.😜 I serve it with fettecine Alfredo and asparagus. A bottle of La Crema Chardonnay is nice too.👍

Comment

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have a Fettecine Alfredo recipe you could share?

Anchovies or sardines would take the smoke well and be pretty quick.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I bet heating up some mustard flavored Beach Cliff sardines wouldn't be half bad on a smoker!

jlazar ...

Easy and tasty fettuccine Alfredo... Pre-cook your noodles to al dente doneness. Set them aside. I buy the Buitoni brand of fresh fettuccine noodles in 9oz package. It serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as an entree.

The sauce...

Preheat skillet to medium high. Put in a teaspoon of olive oil. Finely chop 4 cloves of garlic, more or less depending on how garlicky you want it to be. Put the garlic in the olive oil for about 30 seconds to open it. Pour in a pint of heavy whipping cream. Bring the whipping cream to a light boil. Add the fettuccine noodles. Bring the whipping cream back to a light boil and pull the skillet off of the stove. Mix in about a half of cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and stir it with a fettuccine fork. The amount of cheese you use determines the thickness of the sauce. If the sauce is too thin, add more cheese. If the sauce gets to thick add more whipping cream until you get it the way you like it. I sometimes stir in some pesto sauce right at the end to add that flavor profile. Sprinkle on some freshly ground Parmesan cheese, freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.

It's easy. Try it you'll like it as an entree or a side dish. As an entree I add sauteed chicken and zucchini. Or you can use smoked salmon, shrimp, crab or lobster.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Breadhead; August 12, 2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

I'm talking to my butcher the other day & got to talking about reverse sear & smoking. Then he tells me of his brother who smokes everything he catches. I was stunned when he said white bass, sheepshead & carp even. He's told me its all really good. Huh, go figure. Now he has peaked my interest for when I take my canoe out next week. Got to try some of that there delicacies.

Comment

Hahaha, Yeah everyone up here has a relative or a friend that smokes "amazing Carp and Eel Pout". Then you always ask, " Have you tried it?" The answer is always, "Well.....no....but, I heard it was really good."

To this day I have yet to meet a single person who HAS ACTUALLY tried smoked carp or EEL pout.

It's kind of a running Joke here in Minnesota.
            FireMan

Comment

• Greasy
              Greasy commented
              Editing a comment
              My better half migrated to Chicago from Poland when she was very young. They ate Carp and whatever else was on dads hook. I couldn't believe anyone in their right mind would eat a friggin carp!!

• Strat50
              Strat50 commented
              Editing a comment
              In Alaska, Eelpout is called Burbot, and is a prized gamefish for it's eating qualities. The fish is ugly as hell, but very tasty.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              .....and you've tried it? Strat50

I have this beautiful Chinese cookbook with 16 recipes for carp. When they call for carp they say it can be substituted with sea bass, red snapper, etc. I'm thinking, that is some good fish. What's going on here? They say because it is a meaty fish. Yeah, I have never tried it, but, I am willing to try anything, especially good Chinese dishes.

Comment

The lady tells me bluefish is the smoke way to go.
              However when I asked a chef one time the best way to prepare bluefish his answer was "bait."
              But the lady makes a habit of being culinarily on point.
              I'm learning towards bluefish as bait for crabs steamed as an appetizer whilst I smoke a land based protein.
              IF necessary I'll put fish (sauce) in the mop/spritz.
              ​​​
              But good luck with whatever you do.
              I'd probably just let the market decide and go with "today's catch."

Comment

• bchbum12
                bchbum12 commented
                Editing a comment
                The lady is right as long as the blues are small. Big 'uns can be nasty. At least in my experience.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here