Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Lobster tails help needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Lobster tails help needed...

I'm wanting to grill some lobster tails next weekend but haven't never grill any before. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here's Meathead's article on [Dr Blonder's] Greg's Grilled Lobster recipe. You can apply the recipe to the tails, just much less work.

Comment

I kinda like this recipe except I don't want to cut the tails in half.

Comment

• jharner
        jharner commented
        Editing a comment
        I have always enjoyed Malcom's videos.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Cut em. More flavor

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        What Meathead says! I cut whole lobsters in half and stuff the center cavity with a crab meat mixture to hot smoke on the BGE. Seriously good feed!

I'd happily give you a bunch of tips on how to grill a lobster tail except ... I've only done it once and I didn't like the outcome. Now, though, I"m starting to feel an urge to figure this out since I like lobster and hate paying restaurant prices.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper my experience is the same as yours, but I have no desire to grill lobster again. I am not a fan of lobster. I like shrimp, crab, crawfish and fish more.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Pork Butt I love lobster, just had never had a good grilling experience with it. Until this year, on Valentine's Day. My wife asked me to figure it out. It requires being precise, but it came out very well.

Happen to be grilling lobsters this weeked for Sis's Bday myself.
      I think this video's technique is solid - although I think you could be a little more aggressive and get char on the flesh side (as stated by W.A. ). One observation and it is a very simple thing (which you guys probably do) but having the pan with hot butter right next to the lobsters is helpful and not only to baste. this way you are transporting the lobsters in an already heated vessel for your guests and they will stay warm for service.
      I bet you could even pull a little early and let the lobsters, shrimp, etc gently carry over in the butter. Just 2C.

Comment

Thanks l'inferno , my wife's Bday was this past Sunday and we weren't home. So she ask me if I would grill her a steak and lobster dinner this coming weekend.

Comment

Just a thought "out-loud" for the forum.

What if you:

- get the direct side of the cooker hot, real hot
          - get the wood chunks roaring or get your AMZPS pumpin' (or whatever you are using)
          - get the cooker filled with a goodly amount of clean smoke
          - skewer the lobster to prevent curling, to maintain the shape and to help with even cooking and even contact on the grill especially when flesh side down
          - chill the lobster (maybe even put in freezer for a min or two)
          - put lobster on the grill right from the fridge cold
          - pull a few degrees before 140 and let carry over in the hot butter pan (perhaps covered on the trip inside)
          - maybe even brine the lobster for 30 mins to give you some protection from overcooking
          - use an aggressive wood like Hickory or Mesquite

Could you get a "kiss of smoke"? * (maybe even an "open mouth kiss")

Not sure.
          Not much experience in grilling lobsters.
          Just thinking out loud about the possible Sunday Family Dinner.

If you wanted to get all chef-ey for the Significant* you could top with a gremolata.

Good luck.

* I forget the acronym utilized.

Comment

I use a bowl of butter with some garlic, onion and Italian herbs on the grill shelf. Then as I am cooking the tails, I baste them over and over again through out the cook. You wont regret this step if you do it.

Comment

l'inferno I love hickory smoke but I think it might be a little stronge for lobster.

Comment

• l'inferno
                l'inferno commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah. That's a good point. I was just wondering how you could get some smoke on something you're probably only cooking for 10-12 mins. Guess you could put a tear drop of liquid smoke in the buttter to trick everybody. (in jest)

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                You can go with a small chunk of a milder wood like pecan.

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Since this is going to be her Bday dinner I'm not going to play with the smoke. I will experiment with that later.

Just saw this: http://andrewzimmern.com/2015/05/19/...eid=ca6d156955

Boils first, then grills... Never tried that

Comment

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                Remember, water is a solvent. Would you boil ribs first and then grill?

@W.A - that's a good out of the box suggestion.

You could get all Chef-ey Chef and do that lobster technique that Thomas Keller popularized years ago. I tried it once with decent success. The good thing about it is you would have your lobster de-shelled and ready to grill so you could concentrate on the steak, the music, the lighting and pouring the Lady some wine. I reckon it would be delicate so you might have to grill on a cast iron skillet or something like...

We’ve compiled this great collection of recipes, so you never have to think “what to cook with lobster?” again.

Comment

DWCowles

Did you do lobsters? How did they come out?

We did some yest.

Split them, blasted on the gasser for 5 mins, butter basted, served with the GF's tarragon aioli.

I think they were OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160807_211919.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	205981

Name:	20160807_212158.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	205982

Name:	20160807_213457.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	205983

Name:	20160807_213449.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	205984

Name:	20160807_213827.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	205986

Name:	20160807_213841.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	205987

Par cooking and removing meat and then finish on grill is how I would like to do it next time.
                Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes l'inferno I grilled them Saturday along with some Shrimp and like you they were ok but I may have over cook them a little.

Interesting not in case you missed it in my article: When you buy tails you almost never get Maine/Cold water lobsters. You usually get Florida/Warm water lobsters.

Comment

When I am cooking something on the grill that will not be on there too long I use the smoked salt I made to either pre-season it or season after cooking with the smoked salt.

Comment

Unlike shrimp, scallops, and other shellfish, I find lobster flavor too delicate for either grilling or smoking ... so I resort to some combination of steaming and/or roasting ... and leave the outdoor equipment to the preparation of sides.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here