Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salmon on TheBeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salmon on TheBeast

Howdy Meathead Maniacs!

I've been craving smoked salmon lately, so the last time I was in Sam's Club, I bought a couple of fillets and cooked them last night for my dinner guests.
    Here is a pic of the fillets fresh from the packaging.

I made up a dry brine of brown sugar, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, cinnamon, and all spice. Here are the fillets' covered with the mixture.

I covered the dish and put it in the refrigerator for about 15 hours. As you can see a great deal of moisture has been drawn out of the fish fillets.

Rinse the fillets and pat them dry. Then set the fillets on a drying rack back in the refrigerator for about 4 - 5 hours. This is what your fillets should look like right before you place them in the cooking grate in your kamado.

And it's on to the cooking grate in TheBeast. I smoked these fillets for about 2 hours @ 175F using Alder and Peach chunks.

Here is a picture of the fillets right after they were pulled off the cooking grate. You can tell they are dome by the little droplets of the cream colored liquid that you can see on the fillets.

Here is a closer picture of the cooked fillets.

Finally, here is the plated shot. The fillets were served with KK roasted potatoes and a vinegar based cole slaw, the recipe of which is posted in the recipe section.

As you can see, Pete The Salt Pig heartily approves of us eating heart healthy.

This is an easy cook and only takes a few minutes prep time in the kitchen.

Thanks for looking.

Looking great Ken! I love some smoked salmon. I just picked up some sockeye on sale today, so I will be trying this! I like how you describe the whole process.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Joe - this cook is about as easy as it gets, at least for me. The dry brine is 2 cups packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup sea salt, 2 tbsp cracked/coarse ground black pepper, and 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and allspice. Enjoy!

Wow, that's beautiful, CeramicChef ! I'm going to bookmark this page so I can make this exact same thing for the fish eaters in my family.

Kathryn

P.S. Doesn't Pete the Salt Cellar always have an approving look on his face?
    Last edited by fzxdoc; July 22, 2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc, certainly not when there is pork on the table! 😜😜

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Probs not, Thunder77 . Good point.

K.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Kathryn. I can't believe that I forgot to post the dry brine, but it's right above you post. It's very nice.

As noted, Pete's not too approving on anything containing pork!

Well done indeed.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Even I can't screw up something this easy.

thanks my chiropractor is a salmon fisherman and he wants me to smoke a fish for him this october in trade for some adjustments. Needed a dandy recipe

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Try putting another layer of brown sugar on the fillets as they smoke. Candies them up a bit if you want to use the end result as appetizer pieces rather than as an entre.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here