Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Caught King Salmon in Sitka, Alaska... πŸ‘

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Caught King Salmon in Sitka, Alaska... πŸ‘

I didn't go fishing.😑

My friend Scary Mary is a sales manager and has many sales representatives that work for her. One of her salesman and his friends took a trip up to Sitka, Alaska to go salmon fishing and the big King salmon were running up the river. They caught a lot of fish and brought about 200 pounds home with them. He very graciously gave her 4 big pieces of salmon.

She asked me if I would cook them for her and 2 of her friends. I said sure, of course. That means I get some.πŸ˜†

My intent was to baked them on the BGE. I had just received my new Ash Basket. So I cleaned out the firebox on my BGE and put in my new toy, filled it with lump, lite it up and let it burn for a few minutes. I put in a couple of chunks of Alder, added the plate setter, grate & Grill Grate. I closed the dome thinking all is good. I went into the kitchen to continue my prep work.

I headed outside to check on my BGE thinking it will be at 225° based on how I left it and where I set my vents. I was shocked to see my fire had gone out!😑 I really was perplexed. I haven't had a fire go out in years. Somehow I must have blocked the vents on the side of the firebox. Anyway I rotated the Ash Basket, re-lite the lump and off we go. I got it up to temp but I was way behind.

These filet's of salmon were 2" thick. I put the on the Grill Grates, inserted probes in 2 of them from my Maverick ET735 and closed the dome. The cook is on. I can watch the cooking temp and the internal temp of the filets from my iPad. I'm reading the news and intermittently check my temps. After a while I'm thinking these filets are so thick they are going to take to long at 225Β° and I was already behind by about 45 minutes because of the fire catastrophe. I'm thinking I need to fire up a charcoal starter full of briquettes and get the 26" Weber & SnS ready to save my ass.πŸ€”

I got both cookers going and when the internal temp of the salmon was at 115Β° I took them off the GG's, put them on a plate and took 1 of the GG's and moved it over to the Weber and placed it over the SnS. Thank goodness I left the skin on the filets. I put them on the hot GG, skin side up at first to get some grill marks. Then I took them off and turned the GG over, flat side up. I put the filets back on, skin side down, and cooked them to 135Β°. It was a crazy cook but all turned out well.

For sides I did asparagus, Sous vide style, fettuccine Alfredo and I made a hollandaise sauce, not from a packet, real hollandaise sauce, for the salmon and the asparagus.

The Salmon I dry brined in salt & sugar before putting in a marinade of oil, lemon juice, lemon jest and chopped fresh Dill weed.

At the end of the day... If I had this cook to do over again, I would have done them Sous Vide to 130Β° and then put them on the grill grates at a much lower temperature so my grill marks weren't so dark.πŸ€” However... The three others had no clue that my cook went totally sideways and said... This is the best salmon I've ever eaten, all three of them. It was kinky but all turned out well.πŸ‘
    Attached Files

That's a beautiful cook. As I read your post I knew you were going to make it happen! Where horizontal and vertical bars on the ash basket intersect, will they line up with 1 or more vent holes on the firebox, or was it just the vertical bars?

Comment

BEAUTIFUL plate!!

Way to adapt and overcome! Fresh Alaska salmon - just doesn't get much better.

Comment

Yummmmy! Those are nice thick filets!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes... They were exceptional.πŸ‘Œ

Breadhead nice work Chef. Blender or DB for the hollandaise. Fresh fish is amazing on its own but..... That looks great!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Double broiler. I use a large pot with an inch of water in the bottom. I heat the water to 160Β° and put a stainless steel bowl over the pot that perfectly rest on the top of the pot and use a whisk. I tried the blender method but I didn't like the process or the finished product.

Breadhead, that is a great story, and looks like a great cook!

Comment

fuzzydaddy ...

Hi Mr Moderator. Congrats again on your new position. You're doing fine work.
          I had a lot going on yesterday so I haven't had a chance to analyze exactly what starved the fire. Today sometime I'll remove the left over lump (which will be easy peazy) and rotate the ash basket around some to see if there is a potential to block the air intake. I also just dumped my lump in so that could have contributed. It might have just been a combination of the 2 also. I know my vents were set right and I had cleaned out the firebox with my shop vac right before loading the ash basket for the first time. A month ago I removed the firebox and fire ring to clean up the ash that falls through the holes in the firebox that can restrict air flow.

So I know from what condition all the elements were in, something happened in the firebox to cause the air flow problem. If I figure it out this afternoon I'll report back.πŸ‘ if I can't figure it out I'll stay silent.πŸ˜†
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 13, 2016, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Ahhh, I love salmon season. In Southeast Alaska, including Sitka, there are fresh troll caught fish to be had 12 months of the year. In my part of Alaska(south-central), King season is a bit more abbreviated, although there are spots to catch winter Kings too.I love them as much, if not more than Reds(Sockeye). The same holds true for Silvers(Coho). All are great fish, if handled properly. I treat them differently depending on the time of year. When we get a ton of Kings, I love to broil the whole fish. The same is true with Silvers and Reds. I don't put too much in the freezer,as this avoids throwing away valuable fish in the spring.Even Pink and Chum salmon are killer if you prepare for there vagaries. Oh yeah, I'll be on the river this set of days off; and my fly rod should net a good salmon meal. I love salmon season.......lol

Comment

Breadhead, Great looking Salmon and Your Plating is nothing short exquisite! Five Γ°ΕΈΕ’ΕΈΓ°ΕΈΕ’ΕΈΓ°ΕΈΕ’ΕΈΓ°ΕΈΕ’ΕΈΓ°ΕΈΕ’ΕΈ on the Dan Scale! Michelin would probably do more!
              πŸ‘πŸ‘ "Breadhead to the Rescue! Breadhead to the Rescue! Γ°ΕΈΕ’ΕΈ Breadhead to the Rescue! Breadhead to the Rescue!"πŸ‘πŸ‘
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Dan...

What a nice compliment. I just opened my iPad and this was the first comment I read. It's a nice way to start my day.πŸ‘

Very nice. Your getting me excited to go on my trip to the Alagnak in two weeks!! Hopefully I have similar luck up there. Although Danjohnston949 is bound and determined to have me go toe to toe with a 1200 lb brown bear while I'm up there so I might not make it back to repost after my trip.....If you don't hear from me in a month..... tell my Smokers....I love them.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Guest, Like Guest I kowtow to Guest! I would keep an eye on Your Dad rumor has it he bought
                a. 22 Deringer to carry in his Pocket! I would just bet he can remember something You did that Really P'dO'f, I
                think You Might want to reconsider this whole Alaska thing? From Fargo ND, Dan

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                This entire comment thread. πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚ Breadhead MBMorgan Danjohnston949

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                The real reason one files the front sight of a .44 Mag, is so it don't hurt so bad when that bear shoves it up your bum.... Old Alaska joke...lol

Tough to beat wild salmon, nice work.

Comment

Super nice job on the hollandaise!

Comment

Baker Dan ...

A head Chef at a steakhouse in Portland, Oregon taught me how to make hollandaise & Bernaise sauce 35 years ago.

They had a long solid mahogany counter with stools to dine at that was right behind the cook line. I always made it point to sit where I could watch them cook. I used to eat there often and got to know the Chef. He taught me how to make darn near their whole menu. It was the start of my cooking addiction.πŸ‘

Comment

• Baker Dan
                    Baker Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We have a lot in common.

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know you bake bread. How did your cooking journey begin?

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
                  fuzzydaddy ...

Hi Mr Moderator. Congrats again on your new position. You're doing fine work.
                  I had a lot going on yesterday so I haven't had a chance to analyze exactly what starved the fire. Today sometime I'll remove the left over lump (which will be easy peazy) and rotate the ash basket around some to see if there is a potential to block the air intake. I also just dumped my lump in so that could have contributed. It might have just been a combination of the 2 also. I know my vents were set right and I had cleaned out the firebox with my shop vac right before loading the ash basket for the first time. A month ago I removed the firebox and fire ring to clean up the ash that falls through the holes in the firebox that can restrict air flow.

So I know from what condition all the elements were in, something happened in the firebox to cause the air flow problem. If I figure it out this afternoon I'll report back.πŸ‘ if I can't figure it out I'll stay silent.πŸ˜†
                  The final report why my fire went out...😑 A brain dead rookie mistake!

After removing the Kick Ash Basket and removing all of the unused lump so I could see clearly if there was ANY possibility that it could possibly block air flow... The answer to that is, not a chance in hell! The lump was sitting in the basket fine so there was no way the dumping process could have blocked air flow. As described above all other elements were perfect so...

The reason my fire went out was after lighting the lump I didn't let the fire burn long enough to become strong enough to limit the amount of oxygen it was getting to keep burning.😑 Gawd I feel stupid.😎

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here