Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Salmon Before or After Smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Salmon Before or After Smoking?

I have no choice, I have to freeze some salmon that intend to smoke because I can't get at it the day before it is needed. Any thoughts on whether it's better to freeze the salmon before or after I smoke it? I have a vacuum sealer for either approach. Thanks!

I've never frozen smoked salmon, but the salmon I get from the store is full frozen fillets (thick) and they turn out amazing. So based on my limited experience I can vouch that properly frozen fillets make GREAT smoked salmon after thawing. And the skin is easy to remove when it's par-frozen/par-thawed.

Comment

I agree with Huskee. I'd freeze it unsmoked. That also gives you the flexibility to prepare it grilled or other ways than smoked.

Comment

Like Huskee, I get thick frozen fillets then thaw & smoke, they come out great.

Comment

You can do both with no difficulties. I smoke salmon every summer and sometimes winter too; to use up any surplus frozen fish. It will freeze fine after smoking.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I would definitely freeze it before. After works well too, but serving freshly smoked salmon beats serving thawed smoked salmon any day in my book.

Comment

I find salmon to be a very forgiving fish. It doesnt seem to mind being frozen. I definitely would smoke after thawing, as others have said.

Comment

I'm in the "either way" camp. I thaw a half dozen salmon sides at a time. Brine & smoke them and vacuum pack & freeze all but a couple days worth after smoking. It's all good.

Comment

Do you wet or brown sugar salt brine the salmon fillets? What temp works best for ya'll. I see a lot of videos of going all out at 300+ then Meatheads 225 until 140. Most of these are whole fillets but no one mentions if they were frozen and thawed and not everyone has access to totally fresh fish.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do 1 cup of reg salt & 2 cups brown sugar per gallon water for overnight. Smoke at 250-275 (with a little extra brown sugar) until done (140F +/-). Most often previously frozen.

The smoked salmon they sell at Costco has been frozen. It still tastes good. Personally I would freeze before I smoke.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will definitely give it a try

Comment

I lean more toward freezing before smoking ... although either way should be ok.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here