Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue Crab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Crab

Anyone have any thoughts on grilling blue crab?
    I'm thinking clean before cook. Maybe crack them in half and crack the claw. Indirect with the SNS. Keep it 225 or less. Handful of wood chips. I know they won't take long. This year is projected to be great for blues on the east coast. Steamed is good but grilled must be better.

I've grilled King crab many times indirect with heat but never tried it low with some smoke. Should work fine doing it just the way you describe... Darn. Now I'm going to have to try that....

Comment

Michael Brinton, No help Here, but please Post Some Pics of your Cook! Fargo is about as far from Crab Country as You can get! But thanks to The Big Bird, some of our Stores have fresh seafood!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Having lived on the East Coast all my life, and having consumed bushels of blue crabs, I say go for it! I agree with the cleaning. I would at least peel the tops off, and
        clean the guts. You could probably leave the bottom whole, and the crack the claws. Throw some Old Bay on them, and smoke away! Try some with and without Old Bay. Gasp! Did I just say "without Old Bay?" 😜

Another crazy idea: make some crab cakes, and grill/smoke them! I would go with some mild smoke flavor, so as not to overwhelm the sweet taste of the crab meat.

Comment

Crab is amazing, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here