Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parmesan Crusted Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    My favorite wood for salmon is alder. Like Mac 'n cheese!

• Huskee
    replied
    Lol, darn! I see, taste is surely a personal thing. My salmon recipe I've used for years calls for cooking it at 140 for 6 hrs. --Let it be known this was from a guy who knew nothing about temps, and neither did I at the time. However, doing this yielded some GREAT smoke flavor, and since I use apple wood on salmon it wasn't a heavy sharp smoke, it was mild and luscious even at 6hrs. I've since adopted a better strategy of cooking in the 200 range, but I don't take it up to 225+ like I do other meats. A low temp and a wet brine makes my thick salmon filets incredibly moist. There are no rules as long as you turn out what your tongue likes and it's safe to eat!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1051.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	15055
    Last edited by Huskee; September 2, 2014, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bbantel
    replied
    Yeah, at 375 it cooked for 30min to reach 148, I'm just guessing 325 will draw it out to 30min at 135-145. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of heavy smoke on fish (embarassing, I know) and I want to try getting the parmesan crusty. Worst case, I have to make it more than once at different temps. Oh darn!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I agree w/ your changes, except 325 for salmon? That likely won't give it much time for smoke penetration.

Leave a comment:

• bbantel
    started a topic Parmesan Crusted Salmon

Parmesan Crusted Salmon

Since this was my first time with this recipe I followed all the directions, I even used my "indoor smokeless smoker," or oven as it said. The results really impressed the better half, which is important, but I'm sure this can be made better. It was tented in aluminum foil the whole time (steamed fish?). Oh I guess I did vary from the recipe by adding paprika for color, using regular softened butter, and salting the fish ahead of time. The butter/lemon/garlic/Parmesan mix smelled incredible as I made it.
    Ingredients
    • 6 oz portion of Salmon
    • 7 Asparagus spears
    • 1 Tbsp whipped light butter
    • 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    • 1 clove garlic pressed
    • 2 tsp of lemon juice
    • Ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 375F
    2. Cut a sheet of aluminum foil large enough for the the asparagus and salmon
    3. Arrange asparagus spears on foil and top with the salmon
    4. Mixed the remaining ingredients in a bowl to make a paste
    5. Smear the mixture on top of the salmon
    6. Cut another piece of foil large enough to cover everything and fold up the sides
    7. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes

What I will change in the future
    • Cook it outdoors, probably at 325 like we do turkey.
    • Forget the asparagus, and do MH's grilled asparagus or his green beans.
    • Don't cook by time, cook by temp. Fish reached 148F, just slightly over the recommended max 145F.
    • Don't tent it. Lay it on the indirect grill grates.
    • Add a hint of light smoke, something like apple or maple.

Last but not least, before and after pics

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here