Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King crab legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King crab legs

Does anyone have a recipe for King Crab Legs?

Thanks,
    Sandy

Unless you live in Alaska, your crab legs are precooked. Wrap them in some damp paper towels and nuke 'em for 3 minutes. Serve with clarified butter. Simple, I know, but they're so darn delicious that they don't need any fancying up.

Comment

BUMP>>>> My wife love crab legs, I dont care for them too much but when I try to cook them on the grill she lets me pick out my own steak so I would be interested in seeing if someone has any ideas on smoking the legs a little or throwing them on the kettle with the lid on and some wood chunks?

Comment

sam42830, I agree with what LangInGibsonia said! rip1877 I think if you are Going to put them in a Kettle with a Little Liquid Smoke in the Water!
        Occasionally I cook up a Low Coutry Boil in my Turkey Fryer! Corn on the Cob, Potatoes, Onions, Garlic, Beer, Old Bay Seasoning, Sea Salt, Shrimp in the Shell w/backs split and Cleaned, Crab Legs Smoke Sausage and Ring Balognia and ....! Start with the Corn and Potatoes and Seasonings Boil for 15-20 Mins add the Shrimp and Crab Legs and Boil Until the Seafood is Done! Drain with a Strainer and Platter It or throw it on a Picnic Table covered with
        Rosin Buiders Paper (Salmon), Paper Plates, Butter, Salt and Pepper and ...?
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	236603Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	236602Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.93 MB ID:	236601Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	652.5 KB ID:	236600
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; November 4, 2016, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn that looks good.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Never heard of using ring bologna in a seafood boil, but I bet works well! Do you add your smoked sausage and bologna when you add the shrimp and crab legs?

I keep it simple. Throw them over direct heat, brush often with lots of melted butter for just a few minutes and the flavor is unreal. How or why the flavor is so good I don't know and actually don't care but I'll fire up the grill in a snowstorm if necessary... lol

Comment

I agree that it's best to keep it simple and gentle when cooking king crab legs ... the flavor is pretty delicate and is very easy to mask if you get too heavy-handed with spices and/or smoke. Here's a link that might be of help: http://www.alaskankingcrab.com/pages/prepare

Comment

There's a really famous seafood restaurant called "Bob Chin's" in northern IL. that the wife and I would go to often when we lived in the area. 15 years ago, a 1 pound King Crab dinner was $32 We went back there a couple years ago, and the price had shot up to $70! Ok, it was our anniversary, and out of sentimentality we stayed, but we are never going back. We can do it ourselves for a fraction of that. Oh well.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow that price is crazy. I don't mind spending way more than I should if the meal is really good, but $70 bucks for a pound of almost anything is pretty ridiculous. Don't blame you for not going back.

The vast majority of commercially sold king(as well as other types) crab legs are cooked during processing. This is the nature of that particular fishery. So, you are just re-heating said king crab. Keep it simple, and you will be rewarded with a delicate crab flavor. After cooking king crab for 35+ years, I think it's a bit overrated. Good by itself, or with other delicate flavored ingredients? Yes. As part of most other crab-centric dishes? Not really. Blue, dungeness, etc, have much more flavor, IMHO.

Having said all that, having some King legs that are 2 inches or more in diameter, with a bit of drawn butter, is deadly good, on occasion. It reminds me of my teenage years in Homer, Alaska. We would , on the way to duck hunting areas, set a couple crab pots, as well as shrimp pots. On our way back, we would fish for halibut, collect the pots, then feast on the bounty. Good times....

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
              LangInGibsonia commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree that dungeness is fantastic. And not just the legs. The body meat is great as well. Sadly, they're impossible to find except on the west coast.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here