Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions: Smoking the Whole Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for suggestions: Smoking the Whole Fish

I frequently smoke salmon and I wanted to expand my go to fish dishes....

So I am looking for a whole fish that I can smoke or grill that plates well for New Years

My first thought was Red Snapper; however, they are not on the list of "Top Ten Fish to Smoke"
    Might try one next week to see how it works out...

Suggestions are appreciated

Trout and whitefish come to mind, and where I grew up, so do suckers and chubs.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Honey brined trout! Can sub in bluegill.

Back in 1980 I "smoked" smelt using liquid smoke in the oven in the house. I strongly recommend Don't do that!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      But didn't your house smelt like that for weeks?

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Weeks, I wish it was only weeks.
      Lesson learned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCBBBA66-9C41-44D8-AD09-85625039F797.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1346913
    in the basket

Name:	11C5D69A-F38B-4E51-B367-2F048C6FD81A.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1346914
    on the fire. XL BGE with plate setter

Name:	DEA725BB-B655-4873-AAB7-FE152860E64C.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1346915
    suppertime!

I love a whole red snapper.

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow CandySueQ. That is one good looking fish!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice fish basket! Interested in cook temp, approximate cook time, and IT when done (smoked?). Looks awesome!

You did some Salmon why not a whole Salmon? I thing almost any kind of fish would work when I smoke Trout or Salmon I try not to over smoke them as not everyone likes a super strong smoke flavor.

Comment

Fatty/oily fish work best for smoking ... like salmon, trout, mackerel, tuna, swordfish, sea bass etc., basically cold water (either salt or fresh) species. Lean species like cod, grouper, and other warm-water fish don't necessarily work as well for smoking.
      That said, I'd likely choose freshness over pretty much anything else and see what happens. Enjoy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here